Cannot restore backup (SonicTransporter)

@R1200CL @NOA – Eric and I just discussed this and I was wondering if you guys could upload your backups somewhere for us to look at quickly? I think that may expedite things and help us understand exactly what’s going on here.

We are currently looking into a few bugs with our backup functionality that can cause some relatively minor issues. It can cause issues locating backups on your hard drive, and also affects things like deleting old backups. We are taking these issue seriously, but none of the issues we’re currently aware of can cause data loss, or backup corruption.

We’ve also heard a lot of feedback about a change last year that made files and folders inside the RoonBackups folder hidden. We are going to be changing that behavior as well but none of these issues should cause the symptoms you’re describing, so I’d like to first understand whether this is an issue with your environment, the archives themselves, or perhaps a different bug.

It’s possible there is something else going on here, but looking at your backup archive will clarify things. We’re about to do a full round of regression testing on backups once the current changes are complete, so if there is something else going on here, now is the time for us to understand the problem and resolve it.

Again, to be clear:

While files and folders inside the /RoonBackups folder are hidden, we are not currently aware of any issues that can cause loss of data or backup corruption.

What would be great for both of you to do is the following:

• Zip up the entire /RoonBackups folder you are trying to restore
  • Upload that zip file somewhere we can download it from:
    • if you have Dropbox or similar, that’s great – PM me a link
    • If you don’t have Dropbox, let us know how big the zip file is and and we can give you a way to upload it to us

We take backups seriously, and we appreciate everyone’s patience as we work out these issues in a safe and deliberate manner.

I have JottaCloud :slight_smile:
You will get online access !
(Well a shareable link it is). 13GB oh…it will take time. Or actually not, this will be an excellent opportunity for you guys to test JottaCloud speed :slight_smile:
(Yes, I have suggested Jottacloud as a service you ought to support)

This evening I tried to force backup from my SonicTransporter to the 2008R2 server and it’s failing.
From a windows machine I can browse the folders.
And even at present time my SonicTransporter is not playing files from the 20008R8, but the Qnap, the SonicTransporter via Roon do find the folders etc.
Which it wouldn’t if the 2008 was unaccessable. Strange.

I haven’t made the last backup that seems to be OK (Meaning Roon stats its successful) on Jottacloud yet. Let me know if that one is wanted as well.

I just did one:
ScreenShot276

And at present time of writing I have not tried to restore that present working backup to my Qnap.

No, as not needed before now :slight_smile:
Well actually I may be lying. I most likely did about a year ago when I switched from my Qnap to my SonicTransporter.
A mans mind is very short :slight_smile:

Anyway your support is highly appreciated. And I hope I’m one of very few that has this issue, if any, and that I haven’t discovered a minor bug in the release :slight_smile:

No, to expensive. Dropbox has excellent functionality. Work on all platform. Maybe the best cloud storrage there is for personal use and share minor files.
Huge library’s > JottaCloud is preferable. You guys should contact them :slight_smile:

Does this pic answer your question. I hope that’s what you’re asking ?
(As you have copy of my file manager count of file and size on a previous post)

Nope, I must I admit at present time I don’t have knowledge on the subject.
I will open the web user interface and see if I’m getting any wiser.

Not latley.
I can of cause move the two boxes into my living room if you think it matters, or even better just add a small switch in my computer room instead of using the switch in living room.
Still those switches will be behind or after the managed switch.

Or are you suggestion I put a switch between my iPCop and the managed switch and just attach SonicTransporter and the Qnap to that little unmanned switch ?
If so, may I ask what is the theory behind such an approach ?

@Eric
What does it mean “computing”, as I expect it should say preparing if I remember correctly ?

ScreenShot278

Why does cancelling take long time ?

ScreenShot279

This Flow control settings isn’t straight forward. As I think I must enable or crate LAG and when I do that network is gone for those ports.

In order to enable Flow Control I think I must enable LAG (link aggregation control) as well. And then the question is:
Should I apply LACP, which lead to does Roon support LACP ? (Static or dynamic whatever the difference is).

I guess I will have to verify with Qnap if they do and @agillis if the SonicTransporter does, but that may be part of the Roon answer or maybe not ?

Please advice