Can't connect to my Roon core on QNAP/QTS NAS after 1.8.846 update

Roon Core Machine

QNAP TS-253D with 8gb of RAM running the latest QTS 5.0.0.1828.

Networking Gear & Setup Details

Asus RT-AC86U + English Electric 8Switch

Connected Audio Devices

Linn Akurate DSM Katalyst

Number of Tracks in Library

Around 3800 albums

Description of Issue

So I updated to the latest Roon version about an hour ago. After that I’ve been unable to connect to my Roon core. I’ve tried to reinstall the core completely from QNAP App Store with no help. I tried to unauthorize the current core and reconnect but no. I just get the Roon logo loading on all my devices but no connection. Roon core runs as it should on the NAS.

And yes I know my NAS isn’t up to Roon recommended specs but it has nothing to do with this problem. Everything worked completely fine before this update and had worked fine for over a year. What should I do? My backups are up to date so it’s no big deal to reinstall but it’s not helping.

EDIT:

More information. So I’m running the latest version of Roon .qpkg (2021-10-03) on QTS obviously. I downloaded the log-files and this is what it says:

04.11.21-17:52:41 — Started
04.11.21-17:52:42 — Error
04.11.21-17:52:44 — Initializing
04.11.21-17:52:44 — Started
04.11.21-17:52:44 — Not responding
04.11.21-17:52:44 — Error
04.11.21-17:52:46 — Initializing
04.11.21-17:52:46 — Started
04.11.21-17:52:47 — Error
04.11.21-17:52:49 — Initializing
04.11.21-17:52:49 — Started
04.11.21-17:52:49 — Not responding
04.11.21-17:52:50 — Error
04.11.21-17:52:52 — Initializing
04.11.21-17:52:52 — Started
04.11.21-17:52:53 — Error
04.11.21-17:52:55 — Initializing
04.11.21-17:52:55 — Started
04.11.21-17:52:56 — Error

Go into your QNAP Applications page and update your Roon Server Package.
The one you are using is most likely the one from may, but @crieke created a new one a couple of weeks ago. The newer package includes some necessary libraries.

I already use the newest package, as I wrote earlier. I also re-installed it two times by now. Still not working.

I think you’ve just pegged your issue @patouskii. Running Roon Core on an under-specced system frequently leads to problems. Unfortunately, the fact that it ran on the previous build isn’t a guarantee that new updates will continue to function with success - especially considering that updates come with improvements that can prove more demanding of your platform.

I’m going to bump your thread over to the QNAP section to see if the good people over there have any suggestions. We’re sorry that you’ve encountered this problem.

Seriously? Everything worked flawlessly with zero hiccups for over a year. Now when you release an update which should actually improve performance on Linux based systems, things just stop working. Roon takes under 5% of cpu power on this QNAP, this issue has nothing to do with specifications of my system.

Anyway, it seems that the problem is the same as described here: Roon 1.8 (Build 846) Feedback - Linux Performance Improvements - #35 by Michael_Paulson

Roon server has lost local directories and can’t find any of my music. This also lead to endless loading Roon logo. Now after few re-installs I was able to setup my Roon core as new core and I needed to add network share drives as source for my music instead of using local folders on my NAS. I’m currently restoring backup, which seems to take forever. I hope things run ok after that but it’s clear that the update broke something since you can’t use NAS local folders anymore as a source for your music files.

Update Roon from the App Centre and all should be fine.

It was updated many times before I even started this thread…

I’m having exactly the same issue …

I have installed Roon for NAS successfully on a newly reinitialize QNAP NAS.

Please advise.

Thanks

1 Like

The topic isn’t valid anymore, I can connect to the core now. Though I couldn’t connect to the core right after the update. I had to reinstall roon core and restore everything from backup, then I was able to connect and change my music location from local to network share and now things are back to normal again.

So the problem description would be that local folders can’t be found in Roon for QNAP anymore after the 1.8.846 update. Would be nice to get confirmation if this is intentional or a bug, thanks.

No mention that the new install needs new dependencies here? Specifically that Linux runs .NET now. So make sure the Qnap itself is updated then hopefully Roon should work. And with .NET Roon should run more efficiently so the spec of the machine shouldn’t be the difference.

There actually was small update for QTS (from 5.0.0.1828 to 5.0.0.1837) which I installed also yesterday after I found problems with the latest Roon update. This update wasn’t visible through automatic updates so I had to download it manually from QNAP website.

Not sure how to check .NET situation on QTS though?

2 Likes

I updated to Build 850 and Roon opened ok. Then I opened storage settings and could once again see my local folders. I enabled the local folder path I used before and disabled network share I had configured after Build 846 update. Then I lost contact to the core once again, only the endless loading Roon logo on the screen. I’m already reinstalling again, maybe after this reinstall we’re back where we used to be.

1 Like

I think I’m good now. As I wrote earlier, I reinstalled and restored my backup overnight. The backup was made with the temporary network share library so I had to turn on local folders again and disable network share. After installing Build 850, I lost contact to core when I did this. Now I enabled local library and let it scan for files few minutes before disabling network share. I didn’t lose contact to core this time. Roon is still scanning my files as I write this but otherwise things seem to work normally now.

I have the newest QTS available from QNAP download center. 5.0.0.1837. Storage is on WD Red 4TB HDD in the NAS drive bay. QNAP model is TS-253D.

2 Likes

Yeah still not working seamlessly as before but I was able to see local folders now. When I enabled them and disabled network share, I lost contact to the core again. I went straight to the reinstall and am now restoring backup once again. Hopefully after that, everything works smooth again.

Hi rebeka,

Could you please update the situation to your support staff. While you’re doing your best trying to help us with this unfortunate bug, I’ve been approached by another staff member @jamie threatening to ban me from the forum if I don’t stop posting about this subject since my QNAP isn’t officially supported by Roon. I can’t believe I’m reading the message I just received.

This problem is officially acknowledged by Roon and @noris and there’s even a new version released with a fix. All this and I’m not supposed to post about it here?

Anyway for me, things seem to now work as they were. I posted to another thread considering this subject with further details of what I did. I hope I don’t get banned after this message.

1 Like

I think it’s always just the nerves that suffer with current problems. We all want to be able to talk openly about problems and solutions and with the calmness that @beka Abrudan leads the community, I have a lot of hope that the right questions will be asked, routed to the team in an orderly fashion and @jamie and @noris will provide further technical and communication power to get us to the finish line. Misunderstandings clear up much more quietly in private exchanges. I also know the situation of wanting to help, but the will is not always enough, the developers have other perspectives and know contexts that do not open up to every user.

1 Like