Can't get Room configured for ARC

Roon Core Machine

Mac mini OS 10.15.7 Catalina, 16GB RAM, i7 CPU

Networking Gear & Setup Details

eero network, latest firmware update. UPnP enabled. also manually configured port 55000

1. Who is your internet service provider?
    cox cable
  2. Please list the make and model of your modem and router?
    modem is ARRIS CM8200A
    router is eero
  3. Do you have any additional network hardware, like additional routers or managed switches?
    unmanaged dumb ethernet switch
  4. Does your network have any VPNs, proxy servers, or enterprise-grade security?
    no

Connected Audio Devices

several Sonos amps. none are connected to Roon

Description of Issue -

What is the exact port forwarding error message you see in the Roon Settings → ARC tab?

{
“connectivity”: {“status”:“NetworkError”,“status_code”:502,“error”:“error: Error: ESOCKETTIMEDOUT, response code: undefined, body: undefined”},
“external_ip”: {“actual_external_ip”:“68.aaa.bbb.ccc”,“router_external_ip”:“68.aaa.bbb.ccc”},
“natpmp_autoconfig”: {“status”:“NotFound”},
“upnp_autoconfig”: {“server_ip”:“192.168.7.1”,“found_upnp”:true}
}

Hi @Stephen_Schwerdfeger.

I’m not familiar with the Eero router, do you have a model number of it?
According to the error message, UPnP is enabled, but Roon Arc hasn’t any success to get it work out of the box.

As mentioned i’m not familiar with this router, but is it possible to do a manual port forwarding?

If so, look at the page below for instructions.

Hope it helps, if not let me know.

Kind regards,

Maarten.

Kind regards,

Maarten.

I have also configured manual port forwarding. attached find screenshot of config page in eero app. device is eero Pro6. their latest version does 6E, mine is about 2 years old, does 6.

Hi @Stephen_Schwerdfeger,

I see you created a port forwarding to port 55000 it this also the port number which is shown in the Roon app under Settings —> Roon Arc?

If there is shown another number, adjust your port forwarding rule to the correct port number.

Kind regards,

Maarten.

I did 55000 cuz that’s what’s in the Roon settings. so why doesn’t it work?

also, I’ve power cycled everything. modem. router. Mac mini

Hi,

I’m sorry my suggestions didn’t work.

What also could be an issue is of your ISP have implemented residential-tier carrier-grade network address translation, or CG-NAT. What this means is that the router’s external IP address is being translated by your ISP before it is reported to ARC, so port forwarding will not configure.

To check if your ISP is using CG-NAT see below instruction (i found it on the web)

When you are up and in connection with the Internet and can browse the web go to

or any similar page which will show from which public IP address your request is coming. This address is always a public IP-address, nothing else works.

After that, login to your router and look at the status page. The router will report which WAN IP-address it has got from the ISP.

If it shows the same IP-address as whatsmyip than your ISP isn’t using CG-NAT.

If the router shows another WAN IP-address it’s NOT OK, the ISP is using CG-NAT.

If CGN is in use the router often shows a WAN IP address like 100.xxx.xxx.xxx or 10.xxx.xxx.xxx.or 192.xxx.xxx.xxx.

Kind regards,

Maarten

IP addresses are identical

Then i would like to ask if you can show a screenshot of the Roon Arc message which is shown in the Roon App under Settings —> Roon Arc and a screenshot of the port forwarding rule you created.

Maarten

both attached

Hi,

When looking at your port forwarding rule, the thing what is different from my rule (different router), is that i needed to enter for which ip-address this rule applies (the ip-address of the roon core). I don’t see it in your screenshot.

I’m sorry to tell you, that i can’t help you any further. I hope @support can assist you.

Kind regards,

Maarten.

sorry, here’s the other screen showing the IP address of the Mac mini that Roon is running on

When i look at it, it looks fine to me. There is one thing I remember that I read somewhere in this forum that some ISP’s “ reserve” ports so you can’t use them. Could you change port number 55000 in the Roon Arc Setting screen to ie. 44135. Also change port number 55000 in the port forwarding rule.

Do you have the option to turn off UPnP in the router? If so, try to switch it off.

Kind regards,

Maarten.

2 Likes

WOOHOO!!!
it appears to be working on port 44135

I’m at home so I could connect to the Roon on my home network. but the Roon app on the Mac mini says it is securely accessible. and the ARC app on my phone says it’s connected and playing music. I’ll have to get off the home network and make sure that it still plays. this is excellent. thank you. I also did turn OFF UPnP and just went with fixed port forwarding. I’ll have to see if turning off UPnP screws up anything else. I only have one other service that I use that wants to connect to my home network. I’ll have to see.

3 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 36 hours after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.