Can't play next track? Atrociously counter-intuitive - no, thanks

Bring it on! Loads of switches in main menu, fully configurable interface :yum: (with a :wink: to @ged_hickman1, but I honestly would love it)

2 Likes

This already exists! Jriver.

Yup, and one of the reasons why I never got the JRiver religion - click on a menu and the options roll out to the crack of doom, whilst the houselights dim… :smile:

5 Likes

I am now trying to figure out what that beautiful next generation love-child of Roon and Jriver looks like. … one Go-Play button, Vālence, and a "Nerd mode’ on/off toggle for the flight deck with all these beautiful switches and settings? Everyone happy? :face_with_hand_over_mouth:

(Promise I won’t move to a full-blown feature request)

We’ll get you one of these, should keep you happy…

1 Like

I thought we weren’t meant to swear in this Community :mask:

I have a much more navigable system in my “alternative”: library mainly because you CAN define the interface.

JRiver UI is a nightmare if you are not into Excel but who listens using the main UI / Program. I use JRiver to define views and maintain my library (for DLNA) on a big noisy “Tower” miles away from my listening spot.

I use a mix of JRemote, MConnect or Cambridge Audio Stream Magic when I sit in My Chair to listen.

Yes JRiver will never match Roon, JRiver will never support Tidal or Qobuz but in terms how how to find (especially classical) music it still beats Roon hands down mainly becauseit CAN be configured – Just Saying

If you can’t decide between them do what I do use both !!!

Oh I decided between them a long time ago. I’d mostly dumped jriver before roon. I was using MusicIP as my main program.

I started using Roon as a way to get the music from my laptop to my Bose sound system without purchasing a streaming device and/or walking across the room to choose albums. I quickly learned how to use the Roon features I wanted to use in the way I wanted. I did not go into fits because Roon was something different from what I had used in the past.

I have just discovered that, as a new member, I am not allowed to write more than “x” messages per day; yet another interesting approach here. So even though I was the initiator of the discussion, I could not reply to any of you sooner that this message now.

In any case, thank you all for your feedback; this is much appreciated. As hinted by a few others, I have arrived at the conclusion that, as it currently stands, Roon is not really for me. I was expecting a clear, straightforward manner of organizing my library from multiple sources and formats, completing metadata and having bit-perfect playback.

What I found out was a rather complicated album-/playlist-based UI just to skip from one track to the other. The mix-up of albums bearing the same title did not help either. So for now I will save the subscription money to buy a new amp (such as the Technics SU-G30) and stay on the sidelines hoping that some of the issues above are addressed to my liking. And if they are not, life moves on.

So now that my trial is cancelled, I would like to thank you again for your replies and apologize for any unnecessary rants - perhaps one day we can meet again as fellow subscribers.

Ric

6 Likes

Sorry to see you leave @ricgf. But what’s most important is that you find something that you really love using!
Rants are part of a forum. You were very civil and don’t need to apologize for anything.

Thank you again, Scott - as said above, I might return to Roon in the near future, as it does have a lot of good/refined features. Just need to figure out whether the time required to learn its details is worth it for me, and also whether such features are really something I need.

2 Likes

Hey @ricgf, thanks a bunch for trying out Roon and for the thoughtful, honest feedback. It really helps us to know exactly where you felt Roon fell short.

The way we organize, browse, and (hopefully) enjoy our music collections is highly personal. When evaluating new music software, we all have our own list of must-haves that were born out of decades of music-listening habits.

That’s why switching to Roon or any other software is going to feel pretty jarring, especially in the first day. You’ve probably been using Audirvana/iTunes for years (like many others here!), and it’ll take some time for Roon to stick.

It sounds like you only had a day to spare for your free trial this time around, so don’t hesitate to send me a private message here or email us if you ever want to start a new 14-day trial.

P.S. Sorry you ran into the new user posting limit! That’s a feature of Discourse (the software we use to power this community) that helps prevent spam. You should be able to post freely now.

4 Likes

Sorry that Roon is not for you. I tried several software programs years ago and Roon was hands down the best. On the same token I do not like to throw all of my tracks into one big location. I prefer to keep each album in its own folder (to keep them organized, etc., etc.) like I would with my vinyl, my CDs, my SACDs, etc.

Some other software does things differently and to me that would make no sense at all. I always hated iTunes because but even they used an Album centric view by default.

If I wanted to sort or shuffle songs I would pick the tracks I want and add them into a playlist which is extremely easy to shuffle play.

Other than that I never had any difficultly what so ever is playing the albums, or the songs I wanted to in Roon. It was always supper easy for me. On the same token I have also observed that Apple people tend to have more difficulties with Roon since it does not hold you hand as much as other programs (i.e.iTunes) and gives you much more options.

2 Likes

Let’s be fair here. The albums not only had the same title, they had the same album artist.

FWIW, I’ve used Roon since 2017, after switching from Audirvana, and I haven’t looked back. Yes, in some ways Roon is quite quirky, and it may not be for you, but I’d definitely recommend taking @kevin up on his offer of another free trial when you have the time to spare. And if you do run into problems during your second trial, reach out to the community for help. It seems you found your recent experiences quite frustrating, and I can see why, but I think you might have a much better experience if you have a bit more time to explore what Roon has to offer.

2 Likes

It always helps to go in with the attitude “How can I make this work for me?” versus “This isn’t going to work for me because playing the next track in the track list is atrociously counter-intuitive - no, thanks”.

We see the same stuff from people that insist they must have access to folder views…

1 Like

No, they did not, Speed Racer - on iTunes, both albums are tagged in the correct manner - “The Collection” for Ace of Base, and “The Collection” for Dio - Roon mixed them up.

According to Roon, they have the same title AND album artist. That is probably why Roon mixed them in track view. After all, in the screen shot you provided, you were sorting by “Album Artist”. I believe Roon then sorts by “Album” and then by track “#”. Which would explain exactly why you saw what you saw.

I have no idea why Roon thinks they have the same album artists. I was not addressing that. I was addressing the reason the albums appeared to be combined in track view.

I suspect it’s the other way round - Roon has listed both ‘album artist’ because they’re mixed up. But I have no way to test that theory!

Well, in any regard it was a bad first date. It happens.
Two days ago the OP didn’t know about the resources of the forum, which can help with the awkward moments. Maybe next time there will be a spark…