Can't send audio to a Roon Bridge RoPieee

Roon Core Machine

ROCK 1.8 build 831, Intel NUC10i3FNH 8GB RAM

Networking Gear & Setup Details

Google 2 router mesh. ROCK is connected to one router via Ethernet. All other devices are WiFi.

Connected Audio Devices

KEF LS50, WiFi
Mac, WiFi
Windows 10, Ethernet
2 Raspberry Pi’s via WiFi: 1 with a hat DAC, second to Schiit Modi via USB

Number of Tracks in Library

4400 tracks

Description of Issue

I updated RoPieee on a Raspberry Pi to v4.017 this afternoon. Since the update, I can no longer select it as a device to stream to, and it does not show up under Settings/Audio. However, it does show up under Settings/About as a Roon Bridge device. Before the update, it was working fine. I tried connecting via Ethernet to the same switch the ROCK is on - different IP address, but same result.

Caveat - I’m just a fellow user!
This post should appropriately be moved to the “Ropieee” category.

Which one is not showing up?

If on USB, is the DAC powered up in order to be detected as an audio device by Roon?

Maybe reconnect its USB cable or try a different one - especially boutique ones may exhibit problematic behaviour at times.

Have you checked, whether its extension is enabled and paired in Roon settings?

You may also check, if Ropieee is still configured properly via the Webinterface on the failing device.

Sometimes, power cycling and rebooting ones whole setup effects wonders…

If all of the above doesn’t help, consider sending feedback via its Webinterface’s “Advanced” tab and post the shown “identifier” number in the “Ropieee” category, pinging Ropieee’s author Spockfish.

Good luck!

Which one is not showing up?

• The RoPieee that I updated to v4.017 no longer shows up in Settings/Audio. The update is the only thing I changed. What I find so strange is that ROCK does show the RoPieee when I look in Settings/About (as a Roon Bridge device).

If on USB, is the DAC powered up in order to be detected as an audio device by Roon?

• Yes, Schiit is connected and powered on.

Maybe reconnect its USB cable or try a different one - especially boutique ones may exhibit problematic behaviour at times.

• Will try a different cable - ROCK won’t show the RoPieee as a device if the RoPieee doesn’t report the DAC?

Have you checked, whether its extension is enabled and paired in Roon settings?

• in Settings/Devices? That’s where the RoPieee does not show up as a device I can enable

You may also check, if Ropieee is still configured properly via the Webinterface on the failing device.

• Don’t see anything amiss in the webinterface for RoPieee

Sometimes, power cycling and rebooting ones whole setup effects wonders…

• I’ve rebooted both the RoPieee and ROCK several times…

Thanks!

Of course it’s the one you updated, but I wanted to know if it’s the one with the HAT or the one with the USB DAC.
So, it’s the one with USB DAC, alright.

Yes, that’s how it is.

One might easily forget about that step, since it’s needed usually only once after installing a Ropieee device - see Screenshot.

Just make sure “Audio USB” is enabled.

That’s not your whole setup - there’s a router and your mesh i.e.
Don’t ask me why that would matter, but there have been many documented cases where things got sorted by doing just that - and there’s no guarantee it solves your problem, but it won’t hurt or damage anything either…

And again:

Yes, with the USB DAC.

Nothing is showing under Settings/Extensions. How do I enable/pair the RoPieee under that menu?

Yes, Audio USB is enabled.

I’ve also rebooted the network.

Thanks!

@spockfish Log from my RoPieee uploaded: d7148379ac3bf817

Thanks! Jay

There are issues with the USB connection, hence the DAC is not visible, hence the unit won’t show up in Roon.

Can you try a different cable?

Tried another cable, as well as different USB ports on the Raspberry Pi. Do you suggest rolling back to the previous release?

Nope, this has nothing to do with the software. It clearly reports issues with the cable (and DAC) attached.

I’ve been running this setup for 9mo with no problems - only thing that changed is the OS update.

Could be that it already had it’s issues, but that the new kernel is a little bit more strict. Seen that before.

This might help, my router did a firmware update. I lost the connection to my raspberryPi , it still showed up as a device in roon settings.

I had to refresh the wifi connection and not just rebooting. Had to go in Pi , forget the network and reconnect to the wifi.

Everything came back correctly after that.

Good luck.

I plugged a Dragonfly into the raspberryPi - showed up instantly…

Swapped back to the Schiit, no luck. Back to the Dragonfly, shows up again.

Now to get my Mac to recognize the Schiit Modi!

Thanks all, esp Spockfish!

Jay

1 Like