Devialet Expert Pro 220
Dell Laptop
Dell Desktop
iPhone
iPad

Number of Tracks in Library

35,000 tracks

Description of Issue

I am trying to set up ARC. First, I enabled the UPNP on my router. I get the following error code in ROON:

{
“ipv4_connectivity”: {“status”:“NetworkError”,“status_code”:504,“error”:“error: Error: ETIMEDOUT, response code: undefined, body: undefined connected? undefined”},
“external_ip”: {“actual_external_ip”:“104.aaa.bbb.ccc”,“actual_external_ipv6”:“null”,“router_external_ip”:“192.168.1.186”},
“status”: “status”: MultipleNatFound
“natpmp_autoconfig”: {“status”:“NotFound”},
“upnp_autoconfig”: {“server_ip”:“192.168.0.1”,“found_upnp”:true}
}

See the attached screenshot for what the Router is telling me.

I would appreciate any help you can provide.

If your suggestion is manual port forwarding, I can’t figure out how to do that on my Router. See the attached screenshot from the router’s port forwarding page. What do I enter?

The diagnostics you’ve provided suggest there is a redundant layer of network address translation preventing port forwarding.

This can either be at the local-network level (commonly as a result of two routers), or at the level of your service provider (in the form of carrier-grade NAT).

If your setup involves an ISP-provided gateway (modem/router combination) and your own third-party router:

• In the web administration interface of the ISP-provided gateway (modem/router combination), enable Bridge Mode or equivalent, where the ISP-provided gateway does not have DHCP routing enabled.

• Alternatively, if you have already created a manual port forwarding rule in your 3rd party router, you can add an additional rule to forward the port through the ISP/second router.

If you only have one router in your setup or your modem is already in Bridge mode, please take a look through our list of known router and internet service provider solutions, as other users may have already encountered the same situation: ISPs and Routers: List of Known Solutions and Workarounds

You can reach out directly to your service provider to ask if they support port forwarding; this question will often enough to prompt them to explain whether or not the carrier-grade NAT they’ve implemented can function with ARC.

More specifically, you can pass along the following questions:

• Have you implemented carrier-grade NAT for my account level?
  • Have you fully implemented IPv6, or do you have IPv4 addresses available?
  • Can I request a static IPv4 address to support port forwarding?
  • Are there any ports you have reserved at the ISP level I should be aware of?

If you’re unable to locate an existing solution in our #support:port-forwarding-resources subcategory, please reach out to the Roon support team and include the following information:

1. What is the make and model of your modem and router?
  2. Do you have any additional network hardware, like additional routers or managed switches?
  3. Who is your internet service provider and what is your geographic region?
  4. Is your Modem configured in Bridge Mode so that it operates only as a modem or do you have the ports forwarded on both?
1 Like

Martin,

Thanks for your advice. I figured out how to port forward on the second router. I still cannot connect ARC, and I get the following error:

{
“ipv4_connectivity”: {“status”:“NetworkError”,“status_code”:504,“error”:“error: Error: ETIMEDOUT, response code: undefined, body: undefined connected? undefined”},
“external_ip”: {“actual_external_ip”:“104.aaa.bbb.ccc”,“actual_external_ipv6”:“null”,“router_external_ip”:“192.168.1.186”},
“status”: “status”: MultipleNatFound
“upnp_autoconfig”: {“server_ip”:“192.168.0.1”,“found_upnp”:true}
}

What does this tell you?

I have a second question. If I set up ARC using UPnP, do I always need to keep UPnP turned on in my router? I don’t want that, because I have heard it is a security risk to leave it turned on.

Thanks for any further input.

Regards,

Luis

I have another model tplink archer c3150 and do not switch on upnp but create under Virtual servers (visible in Your screendump) an external Port for my nuc using tcp protocol.

I’m somewhat confused by your post. The first screenshot of your post contained a manually configured port forwarding rule. In the second screenshot of your router, you seemed to have removed this. (Or maybe it’s just the order of the screenshots that is off?)

From what I understand, you have the following setup:
Internet => ISP Gateway => TP Link => NUC Roon Core

If this is indeed the case, then

• your mobile ARC device on the internet will not be able to see your TP link router or any device (e,g. NUC Roon Core) behind that router
  • your ISP gateway will not be able to see the NUC Roon Core either. It only sees the TP Link router.

To overcome this, you need 2 port forwarding rules:

1. From your ISP gateway to the “external” ip address of your TP Link. So not to the ip address of your NUC Roon Core. From the log I think the “external” of your TP Link is 192.168.1.186
  2. From your TP Link to your NUC Roon core. As you had configure in the first screenshot.
1 Like

Hello,

I am running the roon core behind a TP-Link Archer router, which is behind an AT&T BGW 320 Gateway/Router (my ISP’s router). There are no other routers or managed switches.

I have found out through contact with my Internet provider AT&T’s technical support that their BGW 320 Gateway/Router does not support Bridge Mode. Therefore, I experimented with IP Passthrough on the AT&T Router. After setting up IP Passthrough, ARC will still not connect, but I think this is a different error message:

{
“external_ip”: {“actual_external_ip”:“104.aaa.bbb.ccc”,“actual_external_ipv6”:“null”,“router_external_ip”:“null”},
“upnp_autoconfig”: {“status”:“NotFound”}
}

Any further observations from the latest error message?

Thanks,

Luis

Hi Luis,

I do not consider myself to be an IT security expert, but I do have a word of advice: if you don’t fully understand what you are doing, please be careful with any security configurations you make on your routers/gateways.

That being said, I had never heard of IP pass through, so out of curiosity, it looked it up. From what I understand, it is a function AT&T gateway to provide a single device with an internet IP address. In doing so, you are bypassing all the firewall functions of your AT&T gateway. That is not necessarily bad, provided that your are passing on the IP address to your own properly configured router/firewall. It basically would mean that your AT&T gateway is acting as a modem only.
Maybe someone we more in-depth knowledge on networking and security can correct me if this is not accurate.

The error you are currently receiving seems to suggest that’s there are timeout issues, which may indicate that your basic connectivity is not ok. Again, someone please feel free to correct if I’m wrong.

After you have enable the IP pass through, you should check your TP Link router to ensure that this now has an non-private external IP address. This should be something other than 192.168.x.x.

If this is ok, and your Roon Core is getting an IP address from your TP Link router, you should then configure a port forwarding rule on your TP Link router, as you did in the first screenshot of your first post.

This is essentially how I’ve set up my ISP router (they call it a DMZ), but you connect nothing except another router to the port.

The error message suggest that port forwarding is misconfigured. Remember, the LAN side of the ISP router will have a private IP address, e.g., 192.168.1.1, so the second router, which is the firewall, needs to use a different private subnet, e.g., 10.0.0.0.

Forward port 55000 to the Roon core on 10.0.0.0, e.g., 10.0.0.10.

“After you have enable the IP pass through, you should check your TP Link router to ensure that this now has an non-private external IP address. This should be something other than 192.168.x.x.”

Please see the attached screenshot. It appears that my TP Link router does not have a non-private external IP address:

“Forward port 55000 to the Roon core on 10.0.0.0, e.g., 10.0.0.10.”

I don’t understand how to do that. Please see the following port forward screen from the TP Link Router:

Also, how do I determine what subnet the Roon Core is on?

I would appreciate any further thoughts.

You need to setup port forwarding under the virtual servers tab.

Hello and thanks for the advice. I have set up port forwarding on the TP-Link router using the virtual servers tab. Here is the screenshot:

I still get the following error from the Roon ARC page, which seems to have shortened somewhat:

{
“external_ip”: {“actual_external_ip”:“104.aaa.bbb.ccc”,“actual_external_ipv6”:“null”,“router_external_ip”:“null”},
“upnp_autoconfig”: {“status”:“NotFound”}
}

There seems to be a problem with the IPV4 connectivity. Any ideas on how to solve this would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Luis

I’ve just noticed that in your original screenshot of the Roon ARC settings screen, the port is 48926. If this is still displayed, then change the port in the TP-Link virtual server to match this.

The port on the Roon ARC settings page is 55000, which matches the port in the TP-Link virtual server.

One question I have is whether the service type for the TP-Link virtual server should be DNS rather than something else like HTTP.

Thanks,

Luis

Is the service type a dropdown or free text?

The service type is a drop-down box. Here is a screenshot with the choices:

Is service type not just an Unique name? I call it ARC and it works for me

That’s how it is with my (TP-Link), so I’m thinking there may be a services menu where you define ARC, and it will appear in the list.

Hello everyone.

Success! I have successfully connected ARC. Thanks everyone for your support. I couldn’t have done it without all the great ideas.

So in summary, what I had to do is:

1. Enable “IP Passthrough” on the AT&T BGW 320 router. This eliminated the “double NAT” issue.
  2. Enable port forwarding on the AT&T router under the Firewall>NAT/Gaming menu to port 55000, with the device pointing to the D-Link router using TCP protocol.
  3. Create a “Virtual Server” on the D-Link router with an external port and internal port of 55000 using HTTP as the protocol.

Thanks again,

Luis

3 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 36 hours after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.