Censorship about off-topic things

I think the line is well before we get to that point. The line is probably somewhere around discussion of firearms and knives being used as weapons.

Let’s not throw the baby out with the bath water. There is a lot more to these topics than weaponry. Hell, shooting is in the olympics!

And note that all the discussion so far has been about knives as tools, and not as weapons. I don’t frequent firearms forums, but I’ve read enough about knives to know that most of the discussion revolves around non-weaponry. If the topic @7NoteScale named was about hunting or violence, I think we would have crossed the line. But it was about collecting, shooting, and modifying.

Starting to sound like a dictatorship if that’s the case.

Seriously? You think that’s actually what’s happening? Our support team is goofing around about guns and knives and not working on support issues? Get real.

2 Likes

But I’m fairly sure you would baulk at a thread on collecting, deploying and modifying bio-weapons, or maybe one on collecting and modifying computer viruses, or maybe one on how best to scam financial institutions. And you would baulk because all three do harm to other people. I can only speak for myself - as a non-US person who didn’t grow up in a gun culture - but guns fall into that category for me … things that do way more harm than they do good.

9 Likes

The statement ‘your forum, your call does’

The big difference between bio-weapons, computer viruses, and scamming financial institutions is that they are all topics that, as far as I know, do not serve a purpose OTHER than to harm.

2 Likes

I have a proposal…

Let’s see where this topic goes in the next 30 days. If it starts becoming a guide on how to kill things, I’m happy to shut it down.

If it becomes a similar thread to the topics on coffee/motorcycles/dogs/gaming/etc… then I don’t see the issue.

I will come back in 35 days.
If the topic is still there, it will be goodbye for good.

Now it is byebye until November 5th

Dirk

1 Like

Yes, but I could admire a virus for its elegance of code, a bio-weapon for it’s biological sophistication, and a scam for its ingenuity, but I don’t think we should be discussing any of them. As for guns: yes, there are a few recreational uses that aren’t directly harmful (you mentioned the Olympics), but on the whole I think their purpose is clearly understood by everyone - they’re a device designed to kill things.

Personally, I have no objection to the discussion, I just waded in because I can see why many will see it as an objectionable topic.

6 Likes

I’m happy if any kids look at my Roon forum and reading about dogs and motorcycles. I’m not happy with them reading about guns and knives. Maybe I’m old fashioned or listened to too many cognitive excuses as a lead up to violence throughout my career but I find this unpalatable.

11 Likes

I will just mute the thread and move on.

5 Likes

I personally have an objection to this concept in general. I believe “what-ifs” are one of the things that makes the world intolerant. Same for “…but think about the kids”.

The funny thing is, your what-ifs about why others will see this as objectionable are probably based on their what-if as well.

It reminds me of The 5 monkeys’ experiment:

https://intersol.ca/news/organizational-culture-and-the-5-monkeys-experiment/

Note that I’m not saying your what-if is wrong, I’m just saying I don’t like making restrictions based on what-if.

Maybe I didn’t make myself clear. I have a huge objection to guns - I think you only need to look at the statistics in countries where gun ownership is permitted to realise that they’re basically a really bad idea, and that the world, for the most part, would be a much better place if there was less of them. And by the same token, I think it would also be a better place if there was less discussion on the topic. Guns kill people. Lots of people. Day after day after day. I don’t feel the need to celebrate the mechanism that causes those deaths.

My point about not objecting to the discussion isn’t a ‘what-if’, it’s a recognition of the fact that you have already endorsed the topic so what would be the point? Like @ged_hickman1, I’ll mute and move on.

13 Likes

This is exactly why the mute exists. @anon90297517, mute?

1 Like

Is that the one where everyone grew up in a country that celebrated guns without ever questioning if they were a good idea, and then went on to kill a whole bunch of people because that’s how it’s always been done?

1 Like

Here’s a more substantial contribution to this thread. I received this email a few minutes ago from my kids’ school:

"We’ve received communication from the Police Department of reports of shots fired early this morning and some casings were found in the . There are no immediate threats. No district property or bus routes are impacted by this incident.
We’ll continue to monitor the situation to prioritize our students’ safety and provide update(s) as appropriate. "

1 Like

I do believe the olympics are Greek in origin, and your own country took home a bronze in shooting last month.

that sucks… people should not be shooting out in public places. Nor should they be stabbing other with knives.

…but that’s a bit off-topic, since no one suggested or approves talking about weaponry or acts of violence here.

1 Like

I’ll touch upon this briefly, as I’m Roon Support and have posted in the thread. I was alerted that a topic was flagged as inappropriate. So, as Roon Staff I was compelled to take a look at the offending topic. That’s part of my job, keeping an eye on these reports. The topic was this thread.

@danny has decided to let the thread stand. I agree with him. He’s not a fan of guns, nor am I. We’re also not fans of censoring topics before they become a problem.

A community member decided to flag one of Danny’s posts as inappropriate. I get a notification and now I’m back in the thread to investigate. Danny’s comment isn’t inappropriate, reporting his comment as such is inappropriate - and petty. That report pulled me away from helping a customer who has an issue.

If, as a customer, you’re concerned about this topic being a distraction from customer support issues please act accordingly and stop flagging comments that have no fault other than they differ from your opinion. Thanks.

3 Likes

Not quite sure how that’s relevant? I think the bottom line here is that guns are a touchy subject.

You said …

My comments are an attempt to voice “the other side”. I can see where you’re coming from, and it’s a perfectly legitimate place to be but, as I mentioned, guns are a touchy subject.