Censorship about off-topic things

I’m moving a long discussion about people requesting the censorship about an off-topic category post here, as it doesn’t belong in the original thread.

This was the original topic:

Given that we have a thread on dogs, coffee, motorcycles, etc… why not?

I’m not into firearms at all, but I’ve recently become a “knife guy” :dagger:

I’ll read on here with some curiosity.

I really have to disagree here.
As this forum also is your official support page, there has to be put a line somewhere. And firearms (and any other kind of arms) should not be part of your support forum.

Dirk

28 Likes

Agree, the weird American obsession with guns shouldn’t be encouraged.

16 Likes

There is some debate from the moderators about this topic. One moderator claimed that me being a “knife guy” was even worse than being “a gun guy”.

I was going to respond to him privately, but it might be best said publicly:

I read a book many years ago, written in the 1800s. In it, there was a part where a father gave his kid a pocket knife and taught him to use it. The event was a pretty serious event in the boys life, and a step towards manhood.

Having never thought about knives as anything more than kitchen tools, I found it strange that a pocket knife would be so eventful. Thinking about it further, I realized that a knife is a very versatile tool, and it is one of the great fundamental tools humans have created, up there with the wheel. It’s one of the steps that made us differ from the “primitive” animals.

I got myself a small pocket knife, and I found myself using it often, far more often than I expected. Over the years, I learned how to use it safely, the art of keeping the knife sharpened, and the limits of what can and can not be done with it. I bought knives with different shapes, and made of different materials (blades as well as handles). I have a few knives now, and each has its own personality, and is a joy to carry/use.

Now, I must use my knife 5+ times a day. I am a business man and software developer. I sit in a desk all day long. I still use my knife all day long. Just this morning (its 10:30am here now), I used it twice. Once to cut off the tags of my 3 year old’s new boots, and once to trim a piece of teflon tape that was loose around my coffee pot’s grounds tray (it’s a moka pot). I’m sure I’ll use it more later. I wake up, and I make sure I have my phone and my knife. Everything else is optional. Here is the knife in my pocket now:

Do I flaunt/show-off my knives? No. Are they fashion accessories? No. They are tools that bring me joy throughout the day. You’d be surprised how many people have had similar knife experiences. If I see a person carrying/using a nice knife, I will almost always ask about the knife, and the owner usually feels similarly about the importance of having a knife with them at all times. Someone called me a knife guy recently. It’s true, I’ve become a knife guy.

I’d shed your preconceptions about why people carry knives. It’s not all gangsters trying to stab people.

I don’t get firearms at all, but I’m open to the idea that others have found joy in them for purposes other than killing things.

5 Likes

I also think it is the most peaceful way if we do not sharpen knives or make use of firearms here in self-discipline.

There are explained motives, but also unnecessary controversies. I think experienced moderators already realize what will become of this tread.

1 Like

In the UK, it is illegal to

• carry any knife in public without good reason, unless it has a manual folding blade less than 3 inches long
1 Like

You think this thread will devolve into harm or fighting?

I would bet it’ll be far more civil than the MQA threads.

8 Likes

I’m with @danny here.

Stick a good quality folding knife with a partially serrated blade in your pocket and you will be amazed how many times you will use it in a day. They’re tools.

5 Likes

These are ‘tools’ that should not be part of this forum.
There are thousands of places on the net where you can participate discussing ‘tools’
Dirk

3 Likes

3-4 inches in many US states. Not so different. They are very useful tools. I live in Colorado, and just about everyone has a pocket knife here.

2 Likes

Many states/cities in the US have similar laws. For example, NYC has a limit of 4 inches, and New York state has restrictions on the types of knives that can be carried (assisted, gravity, butterfly, etc…). Many of these laws are obsolete and are being repealed as they were clearly fueled by misconceptions and fears driven by gangs of the past.

But we are getting off-topic here. This topic is not about knives, but I’d be happy to hear about knives in another thread.

I’ve learned a lot about coffee from the Roon community and about computer gaming as well, and I do not want to invest effort in other communities. There are people I know in these forums who, through familiarity, have my trust in various ways. For example, when I see your name @anon90297517, I pay attention, even when we may disagree. That recognition is the value that comes from community,

This is all in the #off-topic category, as it’s not Roon/Audio related. If you don’t feel you need to come here for the off-topic stuff, just don’t read that category.

4 Likes

For me this is very principal, so I have 2 choices:

1. keep fighting this topic as hard and as much I can, until I will be banned.
  2. Ban myself from this forum immediately .

You may decide for me
Dirk

3 Likes

You would leave because someone is talking about off topic things in the off topic area of the forum? Or is it this specific topic that would drive you out?

I’m listening, make me understand, if you care to do so (no fault if you don’t want to invest in that effort).

That seems like carte blanche for any off-topic thread.

Surely there’s a line to be drawn somewhere?

8 Likes

It is this very topic about arms.
It has no place here. Weapons should not be discussed , even off-topic on a site about audio and music.
And as a user, I can maybe aignore the topic, but not the forum as it is your ‘official’ support forum.

For me, everybody is free to do and to discuss whatever he wants (within the limits of the law), as long as it does not really has severe negative impact on other people.

This topic has serious negative impact on me as an individual.
Dirk

10 Likes

Surely there is. I just don’t think that line is drawn at “collecting, shooting, and modifying” firearms. You did say privately “this is a call for @danny”, so I chimed in.

I’m open to being wrong here. I believe I’ve explained where I’m coming from. I’ve not actually heard the other side other than “some places have lawful restrictions on some knives” and “Americans are weird”. Neither of those ideas resonate with me.

Would that line be before or after the photo of the dead elephant trophy kill using “super gun brand X” is posted ?

Sooner or later that is going to happen.

7 Likes

The external effect could be that we are shooting wildly here and not paying enough attention to the real problems of the customers.

It’s your forum, your call.

Personally I think the angst generated is not worth it

8 Likes