Certifying Chord 2go

ok, I’ll email Chord again, and ask Support to check with engineering

I’ll be curious to hear what they say. From my experience so far, their Roon-related firmware definitely needs improvement as it seems to drop connections randomly even while sitting 1m from the WiFi access point, which a WiFi monitor showing good signal all along.

Got another response from Roon. I’m talking with Ed Selley in Customer Support. Contrary to the first communication, it looks like Chord had NOT yet provided firmware update. It’s in-progress, it seems however, and is expected to be completed “shortly”. I’ll continue following up with Chord, however it might be beneficial for you folks to “pile on” and let Chord know how you feel – to help expedite.

Here is the full message:

“I am sorry for the confusion. I had been informed that the software revision requested had already been sent to Roon when it hadn’t. I believe that this either been done or will be shortly done. We are committed to ensuring that the 2Go is certified in the manner that other current Chord Electronics products that have already passed through this process.”

Thanks for following up with Chord and for the update. I’d like to add my voice to the choir, but it’s not clear how to contact them in a way that will get somewhere. Suggestions?

email: support@chordelectronics.co.uk

1 Like

Sounds like BS to me.

Chord Electronics is a very small company. I fail to believe in an organisation that size, that there was a ‘misunderstanding’ concerning such an important issue.

1 Like

That presumes that the software and 2go firmware is done inhouse.

I read somewhere that while Hugo and Hugo2 manufacturing were done in-house Poly and 2go were outsourced. I’m not sure if that also includes software/firmware.

So this morning on the 15th of september 2020, 6 days from the dreaded 21st, my 2go+Hugo2 just disappeared from my Roon - “No audio devices found” - it has been cabled with my Innuos for a few months and has been working perfectly. I was happy. Now I’ve restarted everything, but no luck, 2go has left the setup.

What to do about? Any ideas? I can’t even provide Roon with a proper screenshot of my Audio settings in order to be able to get a workaround …

Thanks to Chord for tricking me into buying a ‘certified’ product :frowning:

Regards, Claus

I’m connected via the wifi and my 2go-Hugo2 combo is still visible. Also works if I connect 2go via the ethernet cable. 2go is still reported as uncertified, but it does connect.

How are you connecting Innuos to 2go? USB? ethernet? If haven’t already, might want to try connecting both to the same SSID wifi and see if 2go shows up.

Thanks for replying. I’m using ethernet, but would have preferred a usb connection. Will have another go with it tomorrow…

Hmm, with the ligths turned off in the late evening, I saw a blinking blue light from the back of the 2go, so I started the 2go app on my iPhone this morning and to my surprise, the 2go had lost the connection to the internet. Using the 2go app apparently reconnected it, so now I’m happy again, listening to music. And the wifey is too! Now I only wait for what happens on the 21st …

I sent an email to Chord earier this week. They are still working on certifying the 2GO. This was the answer:

“Dear Sir, work on 2Go certification is ongoing. The process is two way and there are some complexities but we hope they will be resolved presently.”

I moved to wired, since I have had a lot of issues with the 2GO using wireless, lets hope there will be a new firmware soon and that the 2GO will be certified by Roon.

BR
Kristian

I don’t know what “complexities” they are referring to, but for sure the 2go is not ready for Roon. When it used to hiccup while streaming at home, I attributed it to the very busy WiFi neighborhood, even though we have there a robust AmpliFi mesh WiFi system and the hiccups occurred even with the 2go < 2m from a mesh point. But now I’m using it at our country place, where we have an even fancier UniFi router and WiFi mesh connected to fiber internet that has worked perfectly since I set it up, and there’s only at most 4 other distant networks, none above -90 dbm (vs -46 dbm for my own network). Yet, in the last hour I had two drop outs, playing from local files.

I have issues with WiFi on the 2Go as well, so I switched to wired instead. That works better so far. Not the same problems with content loading to slowly and the track is being skipped all the time. I was not able to play any local content, but had some more success with content from Tidal. I disabled MQA(Master quality) streaming, but that did not help.

I use different equipment in the same room that all are connected on the same WiFi network and the 2GO is the only one that all the time has issues of any kind. I hope Chord will sort the WiFi part out and whatever else that is lacking to get the device certified as the 2GO makes a killer combo with the Hugo2GO (Except for being a Roon endpoint on WiFi). The combo sounds good, looks good and has a form factor that perfect as my desktop setup.

Unfortunately the only reason I got the 2go+Hugo 2 combo was for wireless use in the garden, I have other fixed wired systems indoors.

I returned my 2go - too many issues with crackling/popping sounds and wifi. Not acceptable at all at any price, let alone £1000

My solution - just about £100

A Raspberry Pi4 and a PiJuice HAT. Need to get a case.

• Fully wireless (other than the little dongle between the 2)
  • Using Roon Bridge
  • The sound is great with no issues whatsoever
  • The wifi is solid, and it has 2.4 GHz and 5.0 GHz IEEE 802.11ac wireless
  • Can easily be removed to use the USB port on the Hugo with another source
  • Airplay working using shairplay
  • Don’t need any badly written apps to control/manage

Shortcomings:

• Battery life is only about 2 hours, but that can be increased with a larger battery - but that adds heft.
  • No SD card playback
  • Need separate chargers for both devices.
  • not quite as “portable”

For about £900 less.

IMG_5044 IMG_5045

4 Likes

Thanks for the info, as I have been holding off updating my hugo 1 and old sony mobile combo for roon until the 2go is certified.

Been bitten too many times that a device will be x,y and z but it never is and the next version of the product has it instead.

The Chord 2Go is now certified :slight_smile:

2go certified

A tweet also states that a new firmware is on its way. I hope this FW update does some magic to the wifi part of the 2Go so it ca be used on the go. Both the name Hugo (You Go) and the 2Go (to go) implies that using the devices can be done while you move along

1 Like

Thanks @Kristian_Naess I wasn’t aware but can now confirm it works! Delighted.