Certifying Chord 2go

No kidding. Just checked my 2go+Hugo 2. Yes, Roon now accepts it as “Roon Ready.” But it’s still absurdly flaky. In this location, I have high-quality pro WiFi (UniFi gear) in a relatively isolated wood-framed house where the closest other WiFi APs are below -80 dBm. Core is a fanless i7 Zbox CI662 nano wired to the UniFi Dream Machine connected to a high-quality private fiber network. I have both a Pi+Pi2AES Ropieee endpoint, wired, and a wireless Naim Mu-so Qb that worked perfectly from the beginning. Sitting 2m from the Mu-so Qb, listening to streamed Qobuz, I switched Roon to the 2go. Tracks started to skipping almost immediately. Switched back to the Mu-so Qb. Perfect play.

That new 2go firmware better be very good, but I’m not holding my breath. Chord 2go has been my biggest disappointment among many different Roon endpoints, from cheap Pi streamers to top-of-the-line Linn gear.

1 Like

Same issue here. I thought I was done with this, how frustrating. I will wait for the firmware if it doesn’t do the trick I am returning the unit for good.

I have big issues with wireless on my 2Go as well. In fact, unless it is wired, it is useless. I have a Allo DigiOne Signature two feet from the 2GO and the DigiOne has worked flawlessly for over a year. Even a little further from the 2GO, I have a RasPi with ropieee running as remote with a touch screen. No issues there and the remote/RasPi is even further from the wireless source.

I cannot understand why Chord chose to sell the 2Go in this condition when they build some of the best HiFi gear? This level of performance is not what one expects from Chord Electronics.

The new firmware will hopefully be a total remake of the wireless implementation.

4 Likes

Hi Roon community,

I am about to purchase the Chord Hugo 2 and 2Go to use at home and on the go.

However, I have read that the 2Go has connection / drop out issues.
At this stage my understanding is that most of these issues occur while using the 2Go in wireless mode.

As I am not interested to use the the 2Go via wireless connection, I would like to know if these issues also occur with an ethernet connection.

Regarding the wifi issues I found the following article; not sure if this helps:

Many thanks for the input!

Kind Regards,

Andreas

The “vinyl pop” issue affects all modes, not just wireless.

2 Likes

Just a vendor’s lame attempt at sweeping under the rug the terrible WiFi performance of the 2Go. I’ve had my 2Go suffer dropouts even with a bomber-proof pro WiFi setup at a location where there are no other nearby WiFi APs. At that same location, I have wireless backhaul between the main UniFi Dream Machine and a UniFi Flex HD that is itself wired to another Roon endpoint. Same WiFi setup. Zero dropouts there. No, it’s not WiFi itself, it’s Chord’s bad design or implementation.

1 Like

THX for the fast reply!
My home network are all UniFi components: gateway, switch and two access points.

At this stage I might just get the Hugo 2 and a Sonore microRendu or ultraRendu.

It is a shame that the 2Go has these issues as I really like the theatrical integration with the Hugo2. Moreover, not sure if a firmware update will fix the problems.

I have no issus with wired lan. Wireless on the other hand is useless. A new firmware is coming soon, that might og might not improve wireless performance, we will have to wait and see.

When the new firmware is installed and tested, I’ll be reporting back in this tread.

1 Like

Just a rerun of the mojo poly debacle

THX for providing feedback and fingers crossed that the firmware will do the trick \ magic. Have you got a release date?

It’s simply amazing that they didn’t learn from those mistakes. I get when companies put something out the first time and then upgrade and make updates (ala KEF LS50 Wireless vs. Wireless II) but it’s amazing a company would mess up the same thing twice. The “fix” is 5GHz internet and I just cannot for the life of me understand why they would not include that. I had a Bluesound Node 2i and first time I set it up I had major issues, then I realized it was connected to my 2.4 instead of one of my 5Ghz bands. Switched the connection and boom not a single issue in the year or so I owned it.

For what it’s worth, I’ve got next to zero issues with my 2Go on a wireless network. Google WiFi mesh connected to the Internet on a 500Gbps Fibre connection. Roon server running on a dedicated NUC with library on local storage. All these components play a role, and in my experience it’s not as easy as simply saying the 2Go doesn’t work. It does. But it seems very picky about the type of environment it runs in.

You may want to consider a Raspberry Pi 4 with Roon Bridge or Ropieee before you spend so much more on either the Sonore or Chord products.

1 Like

Two different locations. Stable internet (one dual-ISP with load balancing, the other private fiber). Pro network gear from Ubiquiti (EdgeRouter, UniFi, AmpliFi). Dedicated Roon servers with local SSD storage. Everything else works perfectly on both locations. Except 2go.

The WiFi of the 2Go is having an good day today. I moved the access point and the 2GO around to find a better location and today it is streaming without any issues. As long as the signal is above 80 dbm and the bandwidth is above 16-ish mbit/s everything seems to work fine. Still no sign of the new firmware. Will be interesting to se if that improves on the performance of the Wifi.

Not sure how firmware can improve on bad WiFi implementation. Bad wireless design and aerial components which this sounds like it is are not going to be fixed by software in any shape or form.

£1000 device with 2 primary use cases - SD card playback and network playback

The SD card playback requires the use of 3rd party apps most of which are of terrible design and in many cases work intermittently

And the badly designed network part is so flaky that for many people it only works if you use it while holding it in your left hand while standing on your left leg on a chair.

Nuts.

And especially so considering they already went through pretty much the same thing with the Poly. Didn’t they learn anything from that?

I have a Hugo2 and a Mojo and think they are brilliant, use them every day. Lovely sound and they just work.

Resurrecting this thread to see if the Hugo2/2go solution has improved with more recent firmware? A mate of mine and I are both considering buying the combo (well, he already has a H2), but considering the terrible chatter about the 2go unit I’m highly doubtful it’s a good idea! Cheers!

Well, sadly you’ve had no answers so far but here I am, using your post as an excuse for a rant that might at least give you one person’s answer…

I’ve been a Chord Mojo+Poly user for about 18 months. I just bought a Hugo 2 + 2Go which I’ve had for 4 days. I consider the Hugo 2 a definite upgrade but this bl*#dy 2Go? Total nightmare. I could happily sit for hours on my sofa and listen via my Poly (and Mojo) for hours on end. With the 2Go (and Hugo 2) I get every other track skipping sitting on that same spot on my sofa. And yes, I have the most up to date firmware according to GoFigure (or whatever it’s called).

Two and a half times the price of a Poly for, in my experience, a dramatically inferior streamer. Seriously Chord, you really are messing up here. And yes, every other mobile device I have works fine at least 3 times further away from the router than my sofa spot is. Very disappointed especially given how good the Hugo 2 is (in my opinion).

2 Likes

Thanks @Julian , I appreciate the response. I’d pretty much decided to hold off on the 2go until it’s more stable (if that ever happens). Your experience reinforces that decision.