Certifying Chord 2go

I’ve just bought a Poly/Mojo combo, and it works faultlessly on my network.

I’m a big Chord fan. I still have my original Hugo, and love my HMS/TT2 combo.

I’ve never used 2Go. But if reports are accurate, WTF did Chord screw-up so badly with the 2Go? What happened…? :roll_eyes:

I know. It’s weird isn’t it that a device (the 2Go) essentially doing exactly the same thing as the older and less-than-half-the-price Poly doesn’t perform as well as its older and far cheaper counterpart.

The one bit of hope that I hold out is that my Poly skipped quite a lot when I first got it, probably similar to how my 2Go is at the moment, but a firmware upgrade for the Poly (from memory about a year ago) turned it into a very stable device for me. I’m hoping that at some point a firmware update might do the same for the 2Go.

I was about to pull the trigger to buy a 2go, but now I might want to think it twice. Question, when it doesn’t have the wifi problem, will the 2Go sound better than/worse the USB connection or optical/coxial connection? or the same? and I getting a lot of crackling sound from the USB connection too when the rate is higher 92 khz, is that a Hugo 2 problem or USB cable problem?

Something to note is that Rob Watts did not develop the 2Go (or Poly), and doesn’t use them himself. It was some other wireless engineer.

I would check your USB cable or try a different port. I had no issues above 92 Khz when I was wired, and the sound is just as good with the 2go attached.

I am on a mesh network and the 2go has been great. Every now and again I will get the song skipping issue that has been mentioned, but it is so infrequent it doesn’t bother me when compared to the convenience of moving my Hugo 2 around and listening to Roon wherever I want in the house.

1 Like

it might be the driver, I found somehow I have both 1.05 and 1.06 version of the driver on my computer it might confuse Roon, after I uninstalled both versions and reinstall the latest driver for Hugo 2, now I have almost no more crackling sound when play 192khz sound tracks( I say almost, I will give it few more weeks to confirm it’s germanely gone), and I have no issue to play DSD 256 files as well, before I can’t even play any DSD at all on my Hugo 2

that’s it! it was the driver causing the noise problem on my Hugo 2 via USB and made the DSD sound tracks not listenable, I haven’t heard any noise anymore now and play the DSD without problem via USB. Sorry I know this discussion is for 2go, not for Hugo 2 issue, but I was hoping the 2Go can replace the USB connection on my Hugo 2, but since my Hugo 2 is working pretty good now, I have no need to use 2go anymore

Hi, I’m using 2go with hugo2. I want to streem to 2go(hugo2) via roon. But as below…

I was reinstall a roon. :frowning:
Roon & 2go is same status.
What’s wrong?
Would you help me?

Make sure you run the latest firmware for 2Go.

Just checked mine to confirm the version numbers. Latest 2Go firmware is 1.0.3. With it, my 2Go+Hugo2 shows up on Roon as properly certified.

1 Like

New firmware released today, ver 1.5.0. I’ve installed it and so far it works as expected. No issues with WiFi today, but it is to soon to pass any judgement on the new FW after just 4 hours of testing.

This is the feature list:

• Improved radio station and playlist support
  • Faster access over Wi-Fi through caching
  • Playlist generator for the Quick Play function
  • Enhanced status messaging and stability
  • MPD updated
  • Wi-Fi smart switching
  • Convenience switching stability improvements
  • ROON ‘RAAT’ update
  • DLNA visibility update

See link for more information: 2go Firmware v1.5.0 is now available - Chord Electronics Ltd

The 2go and surrounding software are still very much alpha. I updated my Pixel 5 with the latest GoFigure, needed for the 1.5.0 2go firmware. It would not connect to the 2go, whatever I tried, even factory reset via the arcane switch/audio prompt 2go manual interface or hotspot mode. Loaded the iOS GoFigure on my iPad. After several false starts and disconnects, finally got to update the 2go firmware.

So… 2go was sitting on a wooden desk line no more than 15ft from a UniFi Flex mesh point. Still, when I started streaming Roon from a Roon core wired to the same UniFi switch as the Flex, got a skip on the first track I played. Moved the 2go to 6ft away from the Flex, sitting on a wood shelf. No skips for a while, but then again a couple.

Wood frame house well away from any others, my UniFi 2.4GHz network at -46dBm, the nearest neighbor at -83dBm.

TL;DR firmware 1.5.0 is no improvement on the dismal WiFi performance of the 2go. This is sad, it’s the only portable device I have for the garden in nice weather, but it never worked reliably no matter how carefully I manage the WiFi networks at my two locations.

I feel you, had 2 x 2GO and one got bricked after 1st FW update, returned on warranty and then got another one which I sold as I could never get it to work as advertised with all the connecting issues it had including the “vinylpopsandclicks” and I have not looked back since then.

Try getting feedback over at HeadFi, I do not follow any longer as I moved on…they might be able to help, though a long thread though…

Just wanted to throw a comment here because I think this thread may scare off potential users (it scared me).

I got the 2go this weekend. I have an eero mesh system with 3 satellites throughout my house.

When I first got the 2go, I hadn’t updated the firmware. I immediately got droupouts if I played anything over 44.1/48khz in Roon. Frankly, I even got one dropout at that sample rate.

I then upgraded the firmware. It took a few times (first from 1.0 to 1.03 and then to 1.5). From this point in I haven’t received any dropouts throughout my house - even running DXD 352khz or DSD 128.

I have been using Roon exclusively. In my bedroom, our family room, and while running on our treadmill. It’s been flawless since I upgraded firmware.

So for me, at least, it changed into a completely different product. Frankly, had I gotten it earlier in it’s software update cycle I would have been upset as well. This is just to note that for me, wifi did not work well on the initial firmware, and works flawlessly on 1.5.

Still, because all of our networks are different - and it doesn’t have 5ghz, I would buy it from someplace that has a decent return policy. Nonetheless, if the last few days are any indication - it’s matured enough to work quite well.

4 Likes

Adding a note to my previous post.

2Go worked flawlessly for a week, and then after I power cycled, I am getting dropouts again with high resolution files. I am on firmware 1.5. I have no idea why. This is quite frustrating to say the least for a streamer at this price. C’mon Chord.

I love Chord DACs but after my Poly experience I will NEVER buy another Chord streaming product. I am still waiting for Poly updates promised over two years ago.

1 Like

I have no problems with mojo/poly at all. It has worked flawlessly for over a year since the big update.

Just out of interest, what did your dealer or Chord say about your issues.

V

Poly doesn’t support AIFF via DLNA but it does support it via MPD, I was an early adopter and while I could have returned it I suffered through Chord’s promised “soon” update.

Yes me too but it’s worth it to me now. The SD card is very convenient when out and about too.