Chromecast 1st Generation

Hi all, I wonder if any of you good people could answer my query, which much “Googling” has failed to answer.
I have a first generation Chromecast connected directly to my Denon AVR X2300W. I know that the Chromecast Audio is Hi Res audio-capable, but is my 1st gen the same? Does it accept the MQA first unfold from Roon, and the Denon DAC render 24/96. I am getting the “white light” from Roon, (I was getting the green HiFi light originally until advised to increase Chromecast Volume to 100% and control main volume from the Denon?). The sound from Tidal is really good to my ears…I’d just like to know if I am indeed getting the best sound. Thanks all.

Your Chromecast is limited to 48k. Only the Chromecast Audio can do 96k. At 48k, you aren’t going to do any MQA…

What cwichura said! Which is why in my original post to you I suggested using the Chromecast Audio.

Best is very relative. With your current setup you should be able to play normal Tidal content just fine; as you are finding out.

Does MQA sound better? Would it sound better over a Chromecast versus a better beefier MQA product? I have my own opinion on MQA and it’s monetary worth; but, the good news is that if you want to try it, it is not going to break the bank getting a Chromecast Audio to try it out. :smiley:

In fact, you can have both Chromecasts attached to the Denon, set them up as a group and play the same music to both and A/B back and forth to see if you hear a difference.

Thanks cwichura

Thanks Daniel. As I said, the sound with my original Chromecast on Tidal is really good, and now I’ve used it again after a long lay off, I’m enjoying casting the many music videos on YouTube I’ve not previously seen! I will, as you suggest, get a CC audio as well, as I also have a reasonable number of hi res tracks stored locally on my PC (non-MQA). So I’d still have the video ability as well as Hi Res audio streaming. For £30 or less, seems like a very inexpensive best of both worlds? Thanks again :grinning:.