Cirrus7 fanless i7, will it work?

Ahh the Samsung price drops I’ve been waiting for the last few years are finally coming with the QVO line - coming soon.

1 Like

Thanks, the first drive is a great price in the UK. The QVO doesn’t appear to be available in a 2TB in the UK yet.

1 Like

What is CPU frequency during playback?

I don’t have it anymore so I can’t check.

Anyone now really using a cirrus device? Can you recommend it? Or would you suggest something else?

It depends on what you are looking for…

I am using a nimbini v2.5 media Edition. The Quality is awesome! So if you are looking for a device which you can use out-of-the-box cirrus is your way to go.

If you are interested in a DIY Project maybe this solution is right for you:

https://community.roonlabs.com/t/how-to-build-a-fan-less-pc-chime-in-with-component-sources-and-best-items/20649/16

This solution will offer you some more flexibilty. More SSD, more HDD, …

1 Like

Thanks. I’m thinking of running roon on the device and to use it for office and lightroom. Do you think the cirrus media is usable for that?

Yes, should be sufficient. Even the smallest NUC cpu should be powerful enough.

Just ensure that you buy enough RAM…

Can I do that by myself? Is it easy to replace ssd and ram?

https://www1.cirrus7.com/produkte/cirrus7-incus/
Now also with ryzen. Does anybody know if the amd is supported by Roon.

The AMD Ryzen processor shares the same architecture and is a direct competitor to the Intel i7, i.e. x86-64. So yes, Roon will run with this processor.

1 Like

Is the question Roon, or ROCK? Roon on Windows should work. ROCK on the other hand may not work. It would need someone to load it and try to confirm.

2 Likes

ROCK is designed for Intel NUC (which certain variants of Cirrus are based on), and since this thread is under ROCK subforum I’d assume you’re asking about ROCK. See the MOCK thread for people’s experience with non-supported hardware and, if any, solutions for driver problems.

1 Like

Yes, a rock installation would be best, but for that it seems that a nuc backbone would be easier. I’m still looking for a “cheaper” rock solution, but I’m not in a hurry.

Does anyone have recent experience with Cirrus today in Feb. 2020? Are their current fanless purely NUC’S on the ROON compatibility list? Do they ship to the States?

I have an NVMe drive in my nuc8i7 rock setup - works fine

1 Like

I have their latest 8i5 nimbini 2.5 Media Edition and it works flawless. Never failed. Restarted only once for a bigger ROCK update. Runs cool — cold when I touch it if it’s not doing some advanced DSP (and even when trying that it’s just lukewarm).

1 Like

Thank you. Now I need to see if they ship to the USA.
Here is the media edition I spec’d with an i7.
Will this work? Does it pay to get 16gb of RAM?

What about the issue of legacy BIOS - does this version of the NUC board have that - or a newer BIOS? And if new BIOS than what needs to be done?

If you use ROCK only and you’re never going to install Windows, 8GB is enough. Somewhere above 300k tracks you may need more RAM.

just contact Felix by email: website is in german only but he speaks good english
he will also pre-install what you need :wink: