Cirrus7 fanless i7, will it work?

Hi Thorsten,
via Ethernet.
However the Nimbini comes with 2 Wlan antennas.
Jens

1 Like

Thatā€˜s strange because he always answers my questions extremely quick.
Perhaps you should resend your request or give him a call.

1 Like

donā€™t forget about installing Codecs too :wink:

I will do that.
Strange though as my request was not sent via regular email (which can ended up in SPAM boxes etc.)
My request was sent through the websites built in support email system so I am sure it was received.

I didnā€˜t have to do this as the Nimbini arrived with preinstalled ROCKšŸ˜„

mine too but codecs were missing
check yours anyway (by typing its IP in a web browser)

orā€¦ maybe Felix learned about that further step too since shipping mine last August :wink:

August was before the war :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

System status (accessed via Web UI) was full of OKā€˜s when I selected the Nimbini as Core, so assume no codecs are missingšŸ˜„

1 Like

i have it a year and still works very nice

1 Like

Hi @drsah, does Cirrus7 case contain thermal paste for CPU?

Cirrus7 is not just a case: you pick what NUC/RAM/SSD you want inside and it comes fully assembled
you can also pick the OS you want soā€¦ itā€™s really plug&play

1 Like

I disassembled the Cirraus out of pure interest. And yes: it contains thermal paste, it is applied in a usual layer thickness between the CPU and the cooling block.

1 Like

I donā€™t know what is used in Cirrus7, but if itā€™s Intel factory default thermal pad and you have removed the heat sink from the CPU, itā€™s best to remove the thermal pad entirely and then re-apply new thermal paste.

1 Like

I know, as I have already bought Cirrus7 for NUC8i7! :slight_smile:
What was included along the case:

It is Prolima PK-Zero, i cannot say for sure whether Felix (Cirrus7) uses the same, when he assembles nuc-s by himself, but this one was included in my box. I ordered only the case as Iā€™ve had my nuc8i7 at home.

Here is how it looks like :slight_smile:

5 Likes

Very Nice! I just finished putting mine together last night. Mine didnā€™t come with any thermal paste though, so I used Arctic MX-4.

Question, did you put the EMI blocking pads (the ones that are on top of the USB and LAN ports) from your NUC back into this case? I could not get them to re-stick.

lol I only got 4 of the HDD screws, but I need 8 as the Samsung 2.5" SSD does not come with any mounting screws. Cant find any only so I will have to wait until quarantine is over to look locally

I am so happy with this case though. It is so solid! Better than any other fan-less case I have used in the past. Congratulations on your build!

2 Likes

Not a big lose, i think MX-4 one of the best, I also bought MX-4 and used it. :slight_smile:

Nope, actually I forgot about them)) Do you think they really work? Will check if they are still sticky.

Absolutely agree!! I love this case, it is super tank like solid case! And it looks superior for me, the only case, which I like more is nucleus case :slight_smile: But the price for the same specs would be 3 times more!

1 Like

@AnimalOnDrums, ok I checked EMI pads, they are still sticky, so I putted them exactly as they were in original nuc case. So thanks for reminding me!

1 Like

Hey,
So I have been told the EMI blocking pads arenā€™t a big deal and are only there to pas some kind of certification. Intel doesnā€™t even sell them or have a part number for them. If yours were still sticky, then there is no reason not to put them back, but I was told if they arenā€™t sticky that you can just throw them away. I was able to get a couple of them to stick again, but the really small one wonā€™t stick, so I tossed it.

And same here. I think the Nucleus case looks awesome and found myself disappointed when looking at available options. The cirrus 7 case, on the other hand, is a gorgeous piece of machined metal. I was so glad they sold me just the case as I did not discover them until I had already purchased my NUC.

So far it has stayed cool so I am guessing I did everything rightā€¦ it was my first time using thermal paste and it was hard to gauge how much to use. :grimacing:

1 Like

Hi! Mine is absolutely cool too, I am planning to install linux on usb stick and run some stress tests. Sadly that roon web UI doesnt provide any basic hardware monitoring, I would love to see for at least CPU temperature there!

1 Like

yeah, I would also like to see some hardware monitoring, especially the temp. It would just give me peace of mind even if there is no thermal management in ROCK. It will probably not ever happen though according to Roon

1 Like

An update about a CPU stress test. When CPU runs with 100% load on all 4(8 with virtual) cores the temp reaches 69C and CPU turns on a throttle, frequency drops from 4100Mhz to 3500Mhz and temp drops to 55C and stays stable!

So two points, this case is not fo games, of course :slight_smile: Second, the case does its job very well and together with CPU throttle there is no reason to worry about extreme temps.

2 Likes