Cirrus7 fanless i7, will it work?

So basically the processor will regulate itself when it sees temperature get too high and if the case is done properly it will be able to cool it down? So it does this without ROCK having any input? If that is the case, then that is really good to know. I would not care so much about a temperature reading in Roon or on ROCK Web UI. according to independent tests, the cirrus7 keeps the NUC cooler than the stock case with the fan, but is this accurate?

Just want to clarify that stress test is much heavier scenario than any real load, which you can have during normal use case. I think CPU reacts too aggressively with its throttle, because it is mobile CPU, which is made for notebooks first of all (with poor heating systems). Usually 69C is not an extremely hot temp, 90-100C is extreme! I think if not to give CPU to throttle, the temp would stabilise somewhere near 75C. But i dont think it is possible to do, there is no such option in bios.

Correct, its more hardware feature, nothing related to ROCK or any other software installed on top.

Yes, I am sure cirrus7 can manage desktop CPUs as well :slight_smile: And CPU measures its temp with built in sensors inside! as I wrote above, thats not related to software installed on top (ROCK, Windows, Linux, MacOS).

Awesome! Thanks for the explanation! It really helps to understand things a bit better.

Just want to add my 2 cents about the Cirrus7. Got the nimbini 2.5 media edition with an i7, 16GB RAM, and a 250GB ssd for the Roon DB. Library is on an external 5TB USB drive and has about 140k tracks. This setup is so much snappier than my previous core running on a Synology 1817+ with a local library on the NAS. All features of Roon work better and faster now and the whole experience is much smoother. Couldnā€™t be happier. If the investment is worth it for anyone else I canā€™t decide. But for me this has boosted my level of fun with Roon quite a bit. And Iā€™ve already enjoyed it tremendously before.

1 Like

How did you get the Cirrus case on itā€™s own? I have a NUC8i7BEH and really like that case. Could you give some detail how you got the case please? Was the kit that you got complete with all accessories needed to transplant your NUC into the new case? Cheers

Hey,
You can email a guy named Felix at contact@cirrus7.com. You want to order the Nimbini 2.5 Media edition and tell them itā€™s for your NUC8i7BEH. The case comes with everything you need except for thermal paste, but if you ask them to include it they will. Also, if you are using a 2.5ā€ SSD, make sure to mention it so they include the extra bracket. It cost around $200 shipped.

2 Likes

Really appreciate the detailed reply mate, youā€™ve got a very lovely looking case I have to say! Cheers

Were they prompt in replying emails? Iā€™ve tried mailing them twice over the past week with no reply. I have a nuc8i7beh in an akasa fanless case and the temps go up too much.

It depended on when I e-mailed him due to the time difference, but I never waited more than 24 hours for a response. Hopefully he will respond soon.

1 Like

still having the same problem here as well.
I first emailed 6 months ago and never received a reply. I never followed up until last week when this thread inspired me to try again.
Still no answer. It does not inspire confidence.

Do they ship to the States? If not perhaps that is why my emails are not being replied to?

A shame as the product looks quite nice.

How are people specā€™ing these? I would like to match or exceed Nucleus+ performance

1 Like

Same hereā€¦Sent email last week and didnā€™t get a reply. II donā€™t know if they ship to Canada. For those who purchased a Cirrus7: anyone in North America?

You could telephone; if you donā€™t speak German and do speak English, I think it likely the person answering a call could find someone who does speak English. This has the telephone numbers: https://www.cirrus7.com/contacts

They definitely ship to the USA, as that is where mine was shipped to. Thats weird about not getting a response, I am going to email him to see what is going on and see if I get a response.

@greggl you can spec these just like you would a NUC. According to Roon, the most recent NUC model that is supported is the NUC8i7BEH. This is what Cirrus7 uses in their Nimbini Media Edition v2.5. If you spec it to 8GB RAM, you are at the level of a Nucleus+. You only need 64GB for the M2 SSD (The smallest they offer is 250GB though, which is fine) and you can add up to 2TB second SSD to store music files on if you wish. This set up is pretty much a Nucleus+ at half the cost.

Just wondering: can the NUC8i7 not handle the new 4TB Samsung SSDā€˜s?

For NUC8i7BEH, make sure the drive thickness is no more than 9.5mm.

1 Like

Felix replied my email today. He does sell the case alone, but unfortunately due to Covid19, DHL shipping from him to my country is on hold. Unless i pay for express which is something like 130 euro lolā€¦ i guess i will wait for a bit.

UPDATE: Felix was on vacation and he just responded.

Yes, it can. I just swapped my 2TB for the 4TB Samsung 860 and it has worked perfectly

1 Like

thanks. Do you need to change anything on the BIOS or will it recognize the SSD as you slip it in and restart?

No changes needed in BIOS when I swapped them. Just like you said, turn the NUC off and unplug it, open it up unplug and remove old drive, install the new drive, then turn it on again.