Clipping / small pops when changing tracks on Roon App

As far as I understand the matter, I’d have to disagree, but we neither know for sure, nor is my situation the same…

… since I’m using USB from core to DAC, but also very often hear more or less loud pops or tics when skipping within or through songs.

The existence and the loudness level of these artifacts is dependant on the exact time of skipping within a song.

I’m pretty convinced that the problem lies with Roon ungracefully jumping from a certain signal level to a different one or even zero within just one sample.
Doing it gracefully would require to wait for a signal zero-crossing occurrence.

I’ve tested my theory with a digital zero file that I’m replaying, and there are no artifacts to be heard when skipping.

IIRC, there’s even been a Roon developer statement somewhere in the “fade-in fade-out…” feature suggestion thread, saying that the RAAT implementation would need significant coding changes to do anything other than cutting the stream the hard way when skipping in any form.
Changing RAAT’s code bears enormous consequences for all Roon Ready devices incorporating it in their firmwares, thusly it probably won’t ever happen…

2 Likes