Clipping using DSP/Muse

I was very reticent to post this question as it may have been addressed numerous times but a search did not provide any answers. Also I think I may be doing something really stupid….

I want to increase bass on a lot of the music I listen to - a fair amount of the rock from late 60s through the early to mid 70s need a bit of bass boost according to my taste as recording technology back then seemed limited in terms of bass reproduction.

I set DSP headroom to -5 dB and as a start increased the 100 and 200 hz in the Parametric EQ to +5 dB. The music immediately clips and the light flashes red constantly - no matter what song I play. Reducing the low frequency boost to + 3 db and leaving headroom at - 5 dB makes no difference and the clipping light is permanently red.

It seems to me it’s impossibly to use the Roon DSP to increase bass on any of my music. It this cannot be the case and defies logic (no one would use it and it would cause an outcry I would think).

So I have to assume im doing something really stupid here and misunderstanding how to use the Roon EQ functionality to suit my taste.

Can anyone advise how I should be using DSP mainly around boosting the Bass output. Are my settings explained above ridiculous?

I do apologise if I’m cluttering up the community forum with stupid questions

It might depend on what you actually did here… if you have two bands active with peak filters (ie at 100Hz and 200Hz) then the overlap may give enough gain to cause clipping.

If that is what you did, try using a single band low shelf filter at 200Hz and see what happens.

Not really, but …
… instead of entering values in the headroom adjustment, pulling down the slider to the right of the eq graph window effects the same gain cut with the advantage of having visual control of the white overall eq result curve not going above 0dB to avoid clipping.

Other than that, as Andy indicated, a low shelf might effect good results also, without having to fiddle with several overlapping peak filters.

1 Like

Are these your own Vinyl rips or CD transfers? Is it possible you have digital files with no RIAA inverse equalization? The vinyl industry in the 50’s settled on RIAA equalization to even make recording possible. Bass was reduced by a pretty drastic 20db but such records were supposed to be RIAA inverted on playback equipment. Software RIAA inverters are available but I don’t know if roon DSP can be modded for that (if that is the issue):

Ah you are totally correct - that is exactly what I’ve done - they overlap and total increase is way above the headroom. Thanks so much. Now that you’ve pointed it out it is so obvious :face_with_peeking_eye:

A bit embarrassing as all I needed to do was check the wave on the graphic image :face_with_peeking_eye: So I was being stupid as I suspected……thanks for or resorting to sarcasm which I pretty much deserved!

@Alun_Marchant - what Marin said :+1:

Not intended as sarcasm - just trying to be clear what you were describing! :wink:

Don’t forget you can adjust the slope/width of any filters using the ‘Q’ control.

I’d imagine that’s a typo and not resorting to sarcasm was what was intended - or else I need to reacquaint myself with the meaning of the word.

.sjb

There was no sarcasm at all - which is what I said. I think my question almost deserved sarcasm as the solution was so basic but the guys who responded refrained from doing so nap I was genuinely saying thanks for not being sarcastic

1 Like