Collection of Concerts, Focusing on Dates

Hi,
I’ve just installed roon server as a trial.
I’m open to alternate solutions, but without folder navigation, how do you suggest I easily go through the following music.

current structure:
top level (1950s, 1960s, 1970s, 1980s, 1990s, 2000s, 2010s)—folder per decade
2nd level (1950, 1951, 1952, etc)—folder per year
3rd level (1950-01-03 Fillmore, 1950-02-15 NYC, etc)–individual concert folders
4th level (inidivdual tracks for each concert)----music tracks and album covers

I have no interest in going back to tagging 50k+ tracks.
Is there any automatic way to use tags/focus/something to make this manageable?
What I want to do is say, I feel like listening to X playing in the early 1960s, for example.

Thanks

Sounds like an interesting collection. I’m going to guess that these might not be regular commercial releases (based on the examples you noted only). If so, then you will be intirely dependent on the data within you music files rather than any meta data match with Roon’s album matching routines.

So, the question is whether you have any tags in your files. If you have some tags present then Roon can use them.

If not, and your folder convention is solid, then it may not be so hard to use a file-to-tag macro in a tag tool to pretty easily use data you have to create date tags etc. You don’t have to do it manually. Batch conversions work well.

These are mostly, but not entirely, non-commercial live recordings.

So if I understand you, one can create custom ‘tags’ of your own?
Then I could create a tag for ‘live decade’ and another for ‘live year’?

do you recommend any file-to-tag macro?

thanks

Hi Marty,

I’ve extracted your post into a new thread. To add to Nick’s response I will try to clear up some nomenclature and assumptions to help you understand what Roon can and can’t do. Sorry in advance if some of this repeats stuff you know but I’m going to start from the start for other users who may search this thread.

Firstly, what format are your files in ? If they are FLAC, for example, then in addition to music the file structure will include metadata about the music. This metadata is called file tags because they are tags within the file (I expect you know this because you refer to tagging 50k + tracks).

There are a number of applications in Windows or Mac which enable users to write and edit file tags (I use mp3tag in Windows). In your case you have a file directory structure that can be used within such a file tag editor to create file tags for all music files within a given directory. This is done outside of Roon.

Your case, being a collection of concerts, is unusual because commonly tags are extracted on ripping an album. So, for example, there is an ORIGINALRELEASEDATE field which Roon can use to import data regarding an album, but it may be that some other field has been used for your collection, or it may be that there are no file tags with date data at the moment.

Roon can be configured to use the metadata within the music files (file tags), or to use its own database. You can do this on a file by file basis or as a general default setting. Obviously you would want to configure Roon to use file metadata for the folders containing live music recordings.

This KB article sets out how Roon extracts metadata from file tags and what tagging practices assist it to best do that. It isn’t directly aimed at live music recording, so I’m going to flag @joel and @mike to pop into this thread and let you know what file tags would be best to use in order for Roon to extract metadata into its own database.

By having each concert in its own directory and perhaps with Track numbers for the different songs within the concert, I would expect Roon to treat each concert as an Album. This will be convenient for using the Focus tools discussed below.

Turning away from how Roon uses file tags to extract metadata on importing files, let’s look at what can be done to view albums within Roon. There are a number of tools here. Firstly the Focus tools enable you to filter albums in many ways including release date. If your concerts had file tags which populated the date file tags used by Roon then you could immediately Focus filter by year and create a bookmark to retrieve that filter with a single click. That filter view is dynamic, meaning that as you added further “albums” for that year they would appear in the filter view, without further intervention on your part.

In addition to the Focus filter tools it is also possible to add tags within Roon (Roon tags). These are stored in the Roon database, not in the file, so they are not file tags. You can create a Roon tag with any name you choose. You can apply tags individually or to a group of albums (all albums within a filter view for example). Roon tags are not dynamic, meaning you would need to tag each “album” upon import. This KB article sets out more information about Roon tags.

I hope the above is of assistance. I think Roon will enable you to view your collection of live music with greater ease than you have in the past, but it may be significantly assisted by some initial batch file tagging outside of Roon.

2 Likes

thanks andrew.

would it be possible for Roon to create Roon tags based on the directory structure as it adds storage?

for example, assume the levels are as follows:

top level has directories Rock, Folk, Classical, Jazz, etc

what i need to do is easily reach the level groupingd ABOVE the individual album level (marked with *)

then:

Rock*
Allman Brothers*
Allman Brothers Band
Eat a Peach
etc
Live*
1968-01-01 Boston
1972-06-09 Fillmore
etc
Beatles*
Mono Remasters*
Abbey Road
etc
Stereo Remasters*
Abbey Road
etc
24 bit Remasters*
Abbey Road
etc
Live*
Ed Sullivan Shows
1968-xx-xx Tokyo
Boots*
Get Back
Unsurpassed Masters*
Disc 1
Disc 2
Yellow Dog*
Volume 1
Volume 2
etc
Complete BBC*
Disc 1
Disc 2
etc

Etc
Folk*
Asleep at the Wheel*
Album 1
etc
David Bromberg*
Album 1
Album 2
etc (1 directory/album)
Live*
Bromberg Big Band*
1969-02-22 Bottom Line
etc (1 directory/album)
Bomberg Quartet/Quintet*
1988-12-02 Syracuse
etc (1 directory/album)
Solo*
1971-09-15 My Father’s Place
etc (1 directory/album)
Grateful Dead*
Album 1
Album 2
Live*
1960s*
1965*
1965-06-07 SF
1965-11-09 Ivar Theater
etc
1966*
etc
1967*
etc
1968*
etc
1969*
etc
1970s*
1980s*
1990s*
The Other Ones*
etc
Phil & Friends*
etc
Dead & Co*
etc
Etc

Much of the time, I do not know in advance what album I want to hear, but want to easily browse an artist.
For example, I want to look at Beatles boots by subcategory/series (yellow dog, artifacts, ultimate masters), or I want to play some Bromberg Big Band from the 1980s.

Can Roon create these levels of “Roon tags” for me at the time I add storage?
Then I could perhaps navigate quickly via roon tags.
I can’t do that manually with a 10k plus album collection, so it has to be done automatically (and I already have the structure I need in place…just need roon to align its tagging structure with mine…i hope that is possible.

Also, I need this to work for both FLAC and WAV files (yes, WAV files do sound better in my system or I would not be using them still…I keep a flac and a wav copy of my music).

thanks

edit: sorry, your forum took out all of my spaces and indentations so the directory structure may not be so easy to read