Comparing the T2 and X1 - what should I listen for?

With the T3 out and now replacing the T2, it might seem odd to resurrect the thread. But I did what said I wouldn’t - I listened to an X1. I wasn’t looking to replace the T2, rather I was needing a second streamer for a second system, and I wanted to know whether I should just buy another T2/T3 or see what the next tier meant.

I listened first to a DCS Bartok. That was impressive as it should be for the cost. Even with a generous concession, it was above the cost of an X1. Plus the upgrade to current spec was another $6k. I came home and my T2 still sounded good enough to avoid the 5x difference an upgrade would cost.

I made it back to the Lumin dealer, as I was curious if the T3 was the better path. The dealer had a demo X1 and I figured why not listen. We started with the X1. Wonderful, musical warm, spacious. And effortless - siblants weren’t at all bright but felt more accurate and less harsh. More time, body, presence. I heard similar improvements as I had with the DCS Bartok but not having them side I couldn’t pick a favorite.

Then we switched to the T2 (he had no T3 to demo). I expected a massive gap and was pleasantly surprised to see the T2 was not embarrassed. Had the same general characteristics and I was nearly resolved to buy his demo. But I switched back to the X1 and played the same cuts and there it was - that sense of effortlessness I usually hear on my high end vinyl system. Once heard it can’t be unheard. It was a closer call than when I compared the D2 against a T2, where the gap was pretty clearly in the T2’s favor. Here, I had a harder time seeing a 3x+ improvement in sound vs the price tag.

Then the dealer threw out a pleasant surprise- he’d take my Sony HAPZ1ES in trade along with a super competitive price for the demo X1. Done. It was a pretty easy “okay I’ll do it.”

At home I had the chance to again compare the two. With the X1 I have zero issues. It sounds as good as my similarly priced (at retail) vinyl rig. Where the T2 can be a tad bright on siblance, the X1 is just ahhhhh. A lot more micro detail and instruments have more body and space. All the issues I may have had with the T2 are absent.

The X1 chassis is noticeably heavier than the same sized T2, and that’s before you add the weight of the linear power supply. I have to also believe the LPS contributes to the improvements I hear (especially given my experience moving to an LPS on the D2). I really wish there was an option to add the X1 power supply to a T2 which would make the cost delta only 2x and potentially bring the performance gap closer.

The T2 is now happily making music in my second system and the X1 is thrilling me on the main system. Life is good! Happily my situation made the jump to an X1 easier and left enough for me to spend on my room acoustics treatment.

So now I can happily say Peter has now twice contributed to my move up the Lumin food chain.

7 Likes