Comparison of PCM and MQA

More importantly, is it, or is it not, a derogatory term…

everything I have read shows that MQA is lossy and FLAC is not and is also free. my opinion is to avoid MQA and not buy any device on which it is included.

6 Likes

Flac is not a format, it’s a method of lossless packing that MQA use along with any other format. Flac does not have a sound.
So I understand from your statement you don’t even know what you prefer but I will assume you prefer standard 16/44 CD files to MQA.
I am amazed how poor the hearing of so many so called audiophiles must be from the statements I have read on this subject. Sometimes the arguments on paper seem quite persuasive until I select an MQA track and… boom… there it is… beautiful sounding music… all arguments are over in my world…

1 Like
12 Likes

Now that was actually worth watching, always good to hear somebody speak their mind.

6 Likes

I think Mike Moffat might be my spirit animal. This explains the predicament perfectly.

4 Likes

But that comment is missing the point - sure, like it all you want, prefer it, patronize it; all good.

But it is a subjective opinion with no evidentiary support - sure, all opinions are like that; BUT, we are NOT even talking about that.

1. It completely tramples over the consumer’s right to control her/his content

2. To do so they implement a lossy scheme which is not advertised as such; “Master Quality Authenticated” imho, seems to be none of those things.

You keep repeating “it sounds fantastic!” in every post, I will keep repeating “you are missing the point”. I really hope you get that the issue is about consumer rights. If you like the sound, then well, not your fight.

And just to not throw away my only shot for today I will reply to @Neil_Russell

Thanks for that - well - I 100% disagree with the moderator on that. The net effect is censorship - again, Roon’s right, but, again, disagreeing as respectfully as possible. In my mind, if MQA went away, it would be beneficial to Roon as a developer independent of Meridian: 1) No more fees for the MQA license on the support they offer 2) No more developer time implementing and supporting that

Just my very humble opinion.

v

12 Likes

A post was merged into an existing topic: Allowing only one post per day in MQA topic

Moderators have closed this topic. Each “side” of the debate is flagging the others posts and they are both right. The debate, if that’s what it is, has strayed far from the topic, being comparison of MQA and PCM.

Posts about moderation should not be made in the thread. Open a new thread in the Forum section if you want to discuss moderation. Posts about moderation in this thread will be shifted into the existing Forum thread and answered in due course.

The Admins and Mods will not allow the Forum to degenerate into endlessly repetitive axe grinding about the same exhausted topic. Don’t start it up again in another thread.

12 Likes