Compatibility and Configuration Inquiry for Using Roon Without Roon Server on Computers (ref#G6SB7F)

Full form submission

What’s happening?

· I'm having trouble connecting to Roon

What type of connection issue?

· Something else

Describe the issue

Good morning, I have a question about using Roon, I am not in the evaluation period. But the system seemed confusing, can I only use Roon if I have Roon Server installed on my computer? If I turn off the devices to work. I'm using a Cambridge CXN V2. Is there any other way to use Roon? Thanks

Roon Server is an embedded part of the Roon app, so there’s no way to use Roon unless you have the server component installed and running. So no, unless I’m misunderstanding your question, there isn’t any other way to use Roon.

Roon Server is what “serves” the data to all the remotes and endpoints, and the function is necessary in a system like Roon that can be controlled by many devices and can play music to many endpoints in the house.

You can, of course, use Roon simply on a single computer. The “Roon Server” will nevertheless run, but it’s just a name, they could have called it “just another part of Roon”. It does not really matter.

As others have said you do need a ‘Roon Server’ running somewhere.

The desktop PC and Mac versions of the Roon application come with a built-in Roon server that you can optionally use and connect to. This is perfect for users getting started, as it’s just the one installer.

The downside is that your PC or Mac needs to be turned on if you want to use the Android or iOS remote or ARC apps to select music or control playback.

To get around that limitation, most Roon users eventually migrate to running the Roon Server on a separate dedicated machine. This machine can then be left running 24/7 without a monitor or keyboard attached, potentially hidden out of sight in a spare room or cupboard, or maybe next to your router.

This could simply be another small PC or Mac or maybe a NAS if your already own one. Many Roon users use a low-cost computer like a a second-hand Intel NUC running Roon’s own ROCK OS as a dedicated Roon server.

You can also purchase a Roon Nucleus which is dedicated to this purpose. This is probably the simplest option to moving the Roon server off your main desktop computer or laptop.

Simple: Roon on Mac/PC [1] (server and remote all-in-one).
Intermediate (commercial): Roon on Mac/PC (used solely as remote [2]) connecting to a dedicated Roon Nucleus server [1].
Intermediate (diy): Roon on Mac/PC (used solely as remote [2]) connecting to a dedicated PC/MAC/NAS/NUC running the Roon server package [1].

[1] iOS/Android control apps can connect while this machine is turned on.
[2] When the Roon PC and Mac desktop apps are used with a separate Roon server, the built-in Roon server component is no longer used.

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 36 hours after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.