Concomitant use of streaming through multiple endpoints

Does using streaming services (such as TIDAL) at the SAME time through multiple endpoints create a problem as far as the maximum number of concomitant users is concerned?

Simply put: can I use TIDAL through Roon in, say, FOUR endpoints at the SAME time or is TIDAL going to tell me I can only stream to one (or whatever authorized number) device at a time?

Flagging this to @support as well.

You’re good to stream to multiple endpoint with Tidal/Qobuz. You can even stream different tunes to different endpoints, simultaneously…

As far as Tidal/Qobuz is concerned and in truth, only the Roon Core machine is accessing the stream. The Core is feeding your endpoints. Tidal/Qobuz knows nothing about Roon endpoints.

The only limiting factor would be your CPU’s horsepower and to a lesser degree (as far as it affects simultaneity) your network.

Good to know, @xxx - I was worried that I wouldn’t be able to use Roon if my wife is accessing it at the same time - tks a lot!

1 Like

I’d love to know how that works! I know I can group endpoints, but not how to play different music to different endpoints. Or is it just a matter of using a second remote to service a second end point?

It’s simply a matter of playing the song you want by choosing it through the relevant remote for that endpoint.

When you queue an album, or whatever, make the endpoint you want to play to the active endpoint.

If, while you are playing to specific endpoint, you want to play something different to a different endpoint then make that new endpoint active. The older endpoint will keep playing whatever you previously queued up. Each endpoint has its own specific queue. Really, that’s one of the main selling points of Roon.

Sorry, that’s a little misleading. One can choose any endpoint one wants from any Remote or from the main Roon program. There is no thing as a ‘relevent remote’.

No, you don’t have to do something like that.

It’s relevant for me because I do not let all endpoints be shared/controllable by other points - just a few of them.

How do you stop this? I don’t understand.

Here:

Ah, OK. A problem with terminology.

When people use the term ‘Remote’ they mean this -

Yes, you are referring to something that is remote from the Core machine, as are many endpoints, but that doesn’t make it a Remote. Remote should be thought of as a remote for a TV.

What you are referring to is an endpoint (zone), not a remote.

That’s why this didn’t make sense. -

In any event, unless the OP has made the endpoints ‘Private’, he doesn’t need to do what you suggest. It’s just confusing for someone who doesn’t know how to accomplish what they want, anyway.

Doesn’t matter. My answer to the OP still stands as the way to accomplish what he asked.

Not sure what you are talking about - my iPhone uses Remote, and by setting it as a private endpoint, I avoid controlling it from other points. It’s as simple as that.

The moment you do NOT set an endpoint as private, you can control it from anywhere and even remote play it from other devices.

Yes, that’s true, but for the purposes of this thread you are incorrectly conflating the terms ‘remote’ and ‘endpoint’. You use the term ‘remote’ when what you mean is ‘endpont’.

When you set your iPhone to ‘Private’ you are concerned with its function as an endpoint, not with its function as a Remote. Setting your iPhone to ‘Private’ stops it, when acting as an endpoint, from being controlled from other Remotes. Setting your iPhone as ‘Private’ does not stop it from acting as a Remote to other endpoints.

That’s OK. No longer interested in this discussion.

I agree - no need to extend this point any further.

Well, as they say: be careful what you ask for… :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye: but thanks, all of you. I think I know how to go about it now and will try this.