Configuring a WD My Cloud for SMB instead of AFP [Solved]

Hey Mike! The issue has finally been solved! In order for the SMB IP address to be remembered when re-switching macbook on (after you’ve followed Dale’s instruction on mounting the WD My Cloud disk using SMB), you have to do the following:

1. System Preferences
  2. Users & Groups
  3. Login Items
  4. Click on “+”
  5. Choose the folder where your music is located (from the SMB IP address you created)
  6. Tick on the little square next to the folder you chose
    And your good to go!
2 Likes

Hey Bjorn,
In order for OS to remember the settings, you have to do the following:

1. System Preferences
  2. Users & Groups
  3. Login Items
  4. Click on “+”
  5. Choose the folder where your music is located (from the SMB IP address you created)
  6. Tick on the little square next to the folder you chose
    And your good to go!
2 Likes

Great news @Ramy_Accad! Thanks for letting us know

But it’s still not very smooth unfortunately - half the artists got deleted when I switched my computer off and on and Roon had to reload them once again.

I really hope in the next version of Roon, we will be able to upload music through AFP. Because so many people use Apple as well as WD My Cloud servers.

Anyways if you do find a solution more convenient to mine, please let me know :relaxed:
Thank you for your patience,
Ramy

Hi Ramy,

I use a macbook pro and a WD My Cloud for my entire music collection without any issues
Is that drive used for Time Machine? If so that can cause the drive to be mounted as AFP by osx.

Normally if you add the drive folder in your start up items you should not have any problems. But you have to be sure that it’s mounted as SMB

This actually sounds like a more general issue with NAS drives, which we’re aware of and hoping is resolved for our upcoming 1.2 release.

To be clear, you’re seeing albums disappearing or being added one at a time, right? As if they had been deleted and were being re-added? Is that right? As opposed to them all disappearing or coming back in one go?

Sometimes when my computer switches off (or when my IP address gets disconnected), the number of artist goes to 0 and then when computer switched on (or IP address gets reconnected), the number of artists goes back to 1500 (which is my full list). Now what’s weird is that sometimes (when again the computer or IP address switches off and on) the number of artists reduces by half or even more. For instance right now the IP address got disconnected and the number of artists went down to 900 and now just as what you’re saying they’re being added (once again) one at a time.

Hi Steve,

No the drive isn’t used for time machine. How did you mount it SMB? By going to Finder, Go, Connect to Server and writing smb:// IP address? (I got the IP address of the server from the WD My Cloud Dashboard). Or is there any other way to mount it SMB?

And then to add the drive folder to the start up items you went to Settings, Users & Group, Log In Items and you ticked the folder?
If I’ve done anything wrong please let me know.
Thank you!!

Don’t do this.

This is indeed how you mount SMB shares on OS X, but as you’ve discovered it’s pretty unreliable and generally terrible to use with software that watches folders for content, like Plex and Roon.

But I don’t see why you would need to do this with Roon. Instead, what you want to do is to use Roons own network share capabilities so that it doesn’t matter how much OS X sucks at networking. You do this by adding a Watched folder or Organized folder in Roon’s settings and entering your credentials and the network path, which would look something like this:

smb://<ip address>/<share>/<folder, if any>

So mine for example looks like this:

smb://10.0.1.2/music/Roon

This ensures that your share is always mounted by Roon, bypassing the OS X Finder altogether. While this works great for Roon and other software that has built-in support for network shares (like Kodi), it doesn’t work for things lik Plex and iTunes that rely entirely on the OS X mounting shares for them to use. For those, I use an AppleScript that makes sure the shares are always connected. It’s a hack, but it works reliably. But I digress. If you’re having any issues with apps that can’t mount their own shares, I’d be happy to share my script with you. But it’s not needed for Roon.

Ok now YOU just saved my life! A million thanks Gabriel for your help, I can finally use Roon. It wasn’t as complicated as I thought. It’s working perfectly now! :slight_smile:

1 Like

Hey Mike, FINALLY it worked thanks to Gabriel’s very helpful comment :slight_smile: Thanks again though for your constant effort. Much appreciated!

1 Like

Unfortunately the songs got erased twice on Roon. I don’t know why. And it goes again through the whole scanning process from the start which takes a while. Does it happen to you too? Is there anything else I should change in settings? Because I’ve done exactly what you told me to do…

Hey @Ramy_Accad – are you seeing your collection disappear all at once, and then reappear all at once?

Or are albums disappearing and reappearing in your library one by one, so you can see the numbers ticking up and down?

Hey Mike! No I see my collection disappear very quickly (numbers tick down in about 10 seconds) until it reaches 0. Then it scans again each artist one by one (at the same speed as when I scanned it for the first time) which means I have to leave the computer switched on the whole night in order for it to scan my 1,500 artists.