Confused about how to improve my audio system!

The integrated amp from Nord looks spiffy!

I prefer the clean lines of the March Audio amps, so plan to visit a dealer in London someone soon. May opt for two so I can bi-amp.

1 Like

I have a new room to put audio into. Suggestions for conditioning, speakers, and speaker placement would be appreciated. I plan to replace all the furniture shown here.

2 Likes

“Too big speakers” is not a sentence that goes together with that room.

1 Like

But “two big speakers” sure does. :smiley:

3 Likes

I’m partial to big tannoys or JBL but I must admit I like the 70s look anyway!

What a great space. I would get a pair of the bigger active ATCs - SCM100, SCM110 or SCM150ASLs, whatever your budget can stretch to. Put them on either side of the fireplace. You can get them finished just about anyway you want, from stand mounted pro oriented, to beautiful floor standing veneered. Get some curtains that you can pull across the windows, and some bookshelves to mess up reflections. Plenty soft furnishing. You should be able to get an absolutely magnificent sound.

http://atcloudspeakers.co.uk/

US distributor is About Our Company - TransAudio Group They have many pro studio customers and I am sure will give you lots of good advice. Guy to speak to is Brad Lunde.

PS. Forgot to say, add a good DAC like a Benchmark or Chord and it’s game over. Can we all come round for a listen?

3 Likes

If I was starting again I would go that route. I like the idea of active and a good DAC/pre.

2 Likes

I like picking my own amps, thank you…

No mention of budget. So I’ll suggest the Steinway Lyngdorf Model B!

(There are three woofers on the back of each as well)

I would remove all the furniture as you stated.
Get a nice chair but something that doesn’t have a headrest. You don’t want reflections that near your ears.
Get a nice floor standing lamp with a shade. Preferably the on/off should be a pull-chain type.
Little side table.
A JBL speaker.
Set it up in the middle of the room.
Put the chair a few feet away from the speaker.

Wait… I think I have a photo of what I’m describing…

5 Likes

OK, now my real answer. The first thing to do is find the most symmetrical location in that room. That might even be on a diagonal. You’ve got a lot going on there asymmetrically and different materials… from glass to stone to drywall to an open doorway… the goal is left and right first reflections hit the same material at the same distance.

Then, you want to treat those first reflections… first with absorption then possibly diffusion. There is a basic rule for how much of a space needs to be covered but as a starting point… treating to fake symmetry is going to give you the best result.

As far as speakers… well… I don’t think anything you put in there is going to be bad. It all depends on if you’re trying to create a near-field intimate jazz speakeasy or an arena level rock concert. I would suggest though… with that much space… think about putting together two separate systems. Giant floor standers (+ subs) that can achieve deep visceral levels of loading that room and a more delicate, analytical, system that provides detail and delicate imaging you can lost in and listen for hours.

Good luck… keep us up to date on your journey.

1 Like

Hey Everywhere,

I just love that poster! I have a framed copy as well! The good ol’ Maxell Tape ad from the early 80’s I think!

1 Like

I’d better build a few fires first, see how hot the chimney gets.

1 Like

I was assuming/hoping there was enough space on the right hand side of the fireplace, and that you could maybe lose or move the upright prow of the boat, so your speakers wouldn’t be too close to the fire. Where there’s a will there’s a way. For sure you have a fantastic space.

1 Like

A pair of Genelec 8361’s (in black or white but white is nice!)

Sit them on 2 x W371A to feel da bass.

Everything is inside the speaker boxes. DACs and amps.

And textbook wide horizontal and vertical dispersion patterns. Very nice !

With their GLM room correction software you can tune the tonality to your tastes. Tone controls done the proper way.

3 Likes

Did you see the video version

Check out the flying ducks (a minor obsession of mine at one point)

2 Likes

Yes the debate was a year or so ago, someone erroneously believed BASF …

1 Like

Consider Magnepan. Either the 3.7i’s or a pair of 20.7’s

1 Like