Confused about how to improve my audio system!

Roon isn’t running on the DAC.

New data point: when switch the Pi back in, unplug the Ethernet cable and let WiFi do the streaming from the Core to the endpoint, things seem to work OK. So I"m taking the noisy fan Mac Mini out again and going with the RoPieee box.

So did you turn off upsampling now?

Yes, and I set the resync delay back to 0.

Managed to track down the service manual for my receiver. Looks like a TI PCM1754 DAC chip is used, just like the Hegel H80. However, right now I’m just running it in “pure audio” mode, feeding it analog output from my Liberty DAC, and it sounds very good. Very very good. I’m listening to live performances, and can make out what the customers at the tables in the venue are saying.

Oh, good lord, I may be an audiophile! Damn. Or at least a hobbyist…

I have my perfectly good Onkyo TX-8050 working away as more or less a pure power amp plus volume control, with a Mytek Liberty handling the bits-to-analog conversion. But I found Archimago’s nCore power amp so nifty I ordered the parts and they’re arrived! And Massdrop had the Topping D50s for $185, so I’ve ordered that to use as DAC/preamp! To replace a perfectly good working system! Woe is me!

6 Likes

Ah, fixing things that aren’t broken. A prime symptom.

3 Likes

Don’t forget to upgrade those ordinary cables, get cashmere covered interconnects, hand knitted by ninja nuns.

1 Like

A lovely area to live, aside the Kettle Moraine. Great golf course nearby too (Naga-Waukee)!

1 Like

https://www.dynakitparts.com/

I cancelled the D50s, and went with the D70 instead. Balanced XLR outputs, extra RCA outputs for a subwoofer, built-in power supply.

2 Likes

How are you getting on with the nCore power amp?

It’s a delight! I still need better speakers, though. Trying to buy a new house first.

Kind of like this one:
https://www.redfin.com/WI/Mishicot/1501-Tapawingo-Rd-54228/home/90051065

2 Likes

If you are worried about house payments over audio and/or video gear, you are NOT an A/Vphile! :wink:

No, I just want to make sure the speakers are right for the house.

2 Likes

I’m looking at power amps as my Arcam FMJ A19 has to work quite hard with my new Neats. The Hypex nCore class D amplifier looks good–at least on paper–that I may arrange a home demo. I intend to use the Arcam’s pre-out.

You said that backwards, didn’t you?

6 Likes

Martin, I found the assembly of the amplifier, as per Archimago’s directions, quite straightforward, not much harder than assembling a Raspberry Pi. There was one tricky bit, though – attaching the cable harness to the XLR connectors. You have to strip the cables, then inside each cable strip two wires and pare down a shield. Then I had issues trying to get the stranded wires into the connector ports where they are held down with screws. I had to borrow a hobby vise, one of those things with a couple of alligator clips on flexible joints, to hold the rear panel so that I could use both hands. Aside from that, easy.

Though I think if I were doing it again, I’d just buy the one that @Jacques_Distler pointed out from audiophonics.fr.

Thanks, Bill. I think I’m likely to buy preassembled as my time is better spent elsewhere. There are a few available this side of the pond including March Audio and Nord.

Everytime somebody asks me a question like that I start with this question:

• Do you use your equipment to listen to music or do you use music to listen to your equipment?

In other words: are you happy with how your equipment sounds now? If you are happy then just keep listening. If you are not, then describe your unhappiness. ‘Don’t fall into the audiophile trap’ was mentioned before!

1 Like