Confused about how to improve my audio system!

Lol - I found this post the most helpful: Roon & Home Audio Fidelity (Room Correction / convolution filter creation)

1 Like

Back in the mid-80s, I bought a pair of Klipsch Forté speakers. They were amazing. Sold 'em some years ago but you never forget your first love!
Klipsch-Forte-519-B

2 Likes

Found a review of my TX-8050:

The first modern piece of equipment I’ve seen that’s actually built “OK”.

Wyred4Sound and Bryston stuff is well built.

Listened to these today! Great sound.

1 Like

Back from vacation!

My current tentative hardware upgrade plans (still in considerable flux) are a MyTek Liberty DAC feeding my Onkyo TX-8050, and a pair of Klipsch Forte’ III speakers for the Onkyo to drive. But first I’m going to measure the output of my Cambridge SoundWorks speakers and see what the audio curves look like, and listen to more speaker systems.

Roon core will migrate to a new custom built NAS running the latest Ryzen 7 chip. My ancient Mini will then run the Roon Bridge, and send USB output to the DAC.

This is wildly off-topic, but just to follow up:

I did get to see this house, but by the time I got there, there was already a sale pending. But the experience was pretty odd. My great-grandfather used to own a big old house on this lake, grand place with sweeping staircases and wrap-around porches on both first and second floors. My parents held their wedding reception there. I remember being there as a a young child; there was a kid-sized playhouse on the property with a kid-sized but working wood stove in the kid-sized kitchen. I guess it made an impression. When my grandfather inherited, he split the property in two, and sold both lots separately.

I’d figured this was nearby, but in fact this house was built on the strip of land that was split off from the existing property. My great-grandfather’s house, beautifully restored and re-gardened, is right next door to it. The playhouse is still there, and on this property too. Felt very odd to see that again.

5 Likes

I’ve now got my Core running on a fanless Ryzen 2700 with 32GB of memory and all SSD drives (running Xubuntu). Completely silent and powerful enough to do more DSP. On to extensions and room conditioning!

Mac Mini now running Roon Bridge, and feeding Mytek Liberty DAC via USB. Sony BDP-X700 also feeding DAC via coax digital in, for playing CDs. BJC audio cables out to Onkyo receiver.

Slowly getting there :slight_smile:

1 Like

Bill, what were the speaker+room measurements like?

Because equipment combinations are virtually infinite, and perceptions are very personal - not because people are necessarily giving bad advice.

1 Like

Radu, other projects have intervened, and I haven’t gotten there yet.

My old Mac Mini running Ubuntu was also running its fan almost endlessly, so I ordered a CanaKit replacement Raspberry Pi 3 B+ kit. All in one: board, case, power supply, heat sinks. $55. You need an 8GB MicroSD card, too. This morning I downloaded Etcher and RoPieee, flashed RoPieee to the card with Etcher (trivial, couldn’t be simpler), assembled the board into the case (trivial; 2 minutes), put the heatsinks on the board (a small tweezers came in handy), slid the card into the SD card slot at the bottom of the case, plugged the case into Ethernet and power, waited 5 minutes for the autoconfig, logged into the build-in web server and configured the timezone and name, plugged in my Liberty DAC, went to the Roon Remote, which saw it fine, and enabled it. Now playing Mozart through it with full MQA “authentication”. So $60 for a Roon USB endpoint.

Shout out to @spockfish for making the software side of this so painless!

5 Likes

That was a brief honeymoon. Combining the Liberty DAC with the USB port of the RoPieee box seems to have done something bad. It will play for two or three songs, then the DAC goes into some error mode and has to be power-cycled to get it to work again. Back to the Mac Mini as endpoint.

Update: Apparently this is some kind of Roon/RoonBridge bug with XMOS chipsets and Linux:

I suspect it is a Linux/XMOS bug that Roon brings to light.

1 Like

The Mac Mini is also running Linux, and it works fine with this DAC.

7 posts were split to a new topic: Apple MacOS Lineage

Does the Mac Mini use XMOS USB?

I thought it was the DAC that was using the XMOS chipset? So, same DAC, same XMOS chipset in it.

In any case, the Mac Mini (Macmini4,1) seems to have NVIDIA chips:

$ lspci -v | grep USB
    00:04.0 USB controller: NVIDIA Corporation MCP89 OHCI USB 1.1 Controller (rev a1) (prog-if 10 [OHCI])
    	Subsystem: NVIDIA Corporation MCP89 OHCI USB 1.1 Controller
    00:04.1 USB controller: NVIDIA Corporation MCP89 EHCI USB 2.0 Controller (rev a2) (prog-if 20 [EHCI])
    	Subsystem: NVIDIA Corporation MCP89 EHCI USB 2.0 Controller
    00:06.0 USB controller: NVIDIA Corporation MCP89 OHCI USB 1.1 Controller (rev a1) (prog-if 10 [OHCI])
    	Subsystem: NVIDIA Corporation MCP89 OHCI USB 1.1 Controller
    00:06.1 USB controller: NVIDIA Corporation MCP89 EHCI USB 2.0 Controller (rev a2) (prog-if 20 [EHCI])
    	Subsystem: NVIDIA Corporation MCP89 EHCI USB 2.0 Controller
    $