Confused about locating Roon database on synology SSD

Two things:

1. the particular database that Roon uses (leveldb) is memory resident and flushes to disk periodically for persistence. Cacheing is only going to provide a marginal improvement vs memory + ssd flush. I think (and I’m only playing an architect on TV here, I’m definitely not qualified so correct me if you know better) that if you wanted to improve performance in that architecture your dollars would go much much farther by getting faster or more memory, and then only if you have a large library.
  2. Experience - but seriously ymmv. My experiments led me to experience zero change in snappiness (my catch-all term for search/screen paint/play start responsiveness). When I switched to a fully-spec’ed (but not over-spec’ed) ROCK on NUC I saw an enormous change. Enabling and disabling M2 cache did zilch. Adding memory to my 918+ did something noticeable. But if you add up Roon license, and audio hardware, then the differential between bettering my Synology vs getting into “purpose-built” machinery was a rounding error. However, it can’t hurt is absolutely right.