Confused: If delete albums on ARC iPhone will they be synced/deleted in my Core?

Roon Core Machine

iMac, Monterey 12.6: Roon 2.0
iPhone 13: ARC

Networking Gear & Setup Details

Connected Audio Devices

Number of Tracks in Library

Description of Issue

I’m confused. I want to delete downloaded albums off of my iPhone but not delete them in my Core.
When start an iPhone album delete, I get a caution

Do you want to delete off your hard drive?

QUESTION is this only the iPhone hard drive?
In the ARC FAQs you state

How does data syncing work between ARC and Roon?
Any changes you make on ARC will show up in Roon and vice versa.

If you want to remove albums that you have downloaded to your phone, it is best to go directly to the “Downloaded Albums browser”. There, there are two options in the “3 dots” menu for an album:

• Remove from downloads
  • Remove from library (in red).

The first will remove the downloaded album from your phone’s storage. The second will do that, but if it is an album that you have in your Core’s Watched Folder storage, it will also delete the album from your storage.

5 Likes

Still a very controversial decision to enable deletion of library content in the “Away from Roon Core”-app… IMO the option should go away immediately.

1 Like

Agreed but I think as many people want the option as don’t think it should even be there. So the correct way forward is to have it configurable in the ARC app itself. ‘Allow Core Library Deletions YES/NO’. The red option would be greyed out if you set it as No.

4 Likes

The correct way forward is to have it configurable in the Core. Currently, anyone with access to the Core can cause havoc, intended or by mistake. I do not want a delete files option, and I don’t see why it’s even necessary for mobile. Roon never touches the original files, but it lets anyone delete anything?

2 Likes

Which begs the question: Why are profiles a more or less useless addition to the Roon concept?
If we had Party/Family members/Occasional profiles, they could be used for creating subsets within the library, limit write/delete access etc.

Thank everyone. I’m a simple guy with over 70K tracks and a wife who doesn’t want the full library or complication. So, my two cents are:

1. Profiles are good.
  2. IMO instead of changing software, just clarify download/syncing in the ARC FAQs under:

How does data syncing work between ARC and Roon?
Any changes you make on ARC will show up in Roon and vice versa.,

i.e., adding something along the lines of the response Geoff C gave.

I fully agree with fellow posters, there needs to be something done.

It needs either the implementation of proper user rights (and disabling of removal for single users) or at least the possibility to deactivate the option of removal in general.

While I can see why some users want to have the option for removal of music files within roon (although I would prefer to not have this option at all), I really don’t understand how it found it’s way into ARC, designated for remote use …

This topic was automatically closed 45 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.