Connect remote to Roon core over VPN

Roon core installed on headless windows 10 machine IP 192.168.1.101

Music stored on Synology DS213+ NAS IP 192.168.1.100

Both are cabled to a TP link N750 IP 192.168.1.1/192.168.0.114

The N750 is connected to a cable modem/wifi router IP 192.168.0.129/outside IP

I have forwarded UDP ports 500, 1701 and 4500 from the modem to the TP link and from the TP link to the Synology.

I have setup the synology as a VPN server (L2TP/IPSec).

What I am trying to do (just for the heck of it) is to connect Roon to my Roon core through VPN.

Everything seems to work ok in the VPN. I can reach my network shares, I can reach my Synology and TP link through the webinterfaces on their internal IP adresses when I’m at work or in a hotel and connected through the VPN.

But… Roon cannot find it’s core. Now I guess this has to do with the 10.2.0.0 IP range I configured for the VPN. I can ping the Roon Core machine but I suppose the Roon Core machine cannot find me :slight_smile:

Am I right in my assumption? Would a workaround exist?

I use a Raspberry 3 with Hifiberry digi+ board as a Roon endpoint. Works like a charm. I think Roon is a really, really wunderfull piece of music software.

Much oblidged for any help.

Thanks and regards from The Netherlands

Rik

At the present Roon and its endpoints need to exist in the same subnet

VPN has some limitations in my network. If I’m hooked to my VPN, my video doorbell (SKYBELL) won’t provide picture feed, although it still records, and I can view it back on my home network…I generally only use VPN when I’m out in public wi-fi spots.

Hi Daniel,

I do understand that exactly that is the problem.
That is my question; as I can reach all other services like these are on the private subnet I am wondering if there is a way of fooling Roon… there must be

Robert,

I never use VPN this way. Only when I’m at home to connect to my business network, not the other way around. But this is the only way I can think of to remotely connect to roon.

I do have the same issue.
Did you find a work around?
As Daniel mentioned, all Roon components needs to be on the same subnet.
Did you change your VPN configuration succesfully?

Jules