Connect Roon to Devialet Phantom Gold speakers via Ethernet?

@Wesley_Miaw sorry you lost me there…you say you used…? Are we talking about the Phantom speakers or… :roll_eyes::smiley:

Devialet support confirms that: “YES, upsampling also occurs in our Phantom range of products.”
They do not confirm sample rate, but 192kHz is a good guess I believe.

1 Like

Do you know if there are different producers involved here?

Does that mean, whatever we send (over the network Airplay or…) to Phatom is upsample to 192/24…??

Yes, I believe so :slight_smile: The re-sampling is part of the ADH logic.

So in theory we can use Roon with Airplay as an end-point and we are listening to 192/24 upsample music… :slight_smile: …wonder what is the impact in sound quality…?? Comparing with “direct” uPnP…?

I can only describe what I heard with my Expert D250CI. I got very good results when I played music files with their native sample rates and let the amplifier do the upsampling (compared to Roon upsampling to 192kHz). NOTE: the difference is very small if there at all.
Whether UPnP is better than Airplay I would not know. UPnP might have an edge as the receiver does more of the processing while Airplay is processed and pushed from the host. Only listening can determine that.

1 Like

Another thing is that the Expert amps have DSP at 40bit. I do not know if processing in Expert ADH is 40/192 for music files though.
I am not familiar wirh the internal bit depth for Phantoms.

Definitely, there is upsampling done in the DAC. The Phantoms use the TI PCM1798 chip that does a 8x oversampling. The chip can work with sampling frequencies from 10-200kHz. I guess that Devialet has fixed the sampling frequency to 192k, but it could also be 96k. With 96k the chip would have a very slight better performance on signal to noise ratio and bit less distortion, but very insignificant. It is almost the same chip as is used in the Expert systems and definitely good enough for an active speaker.

Sorry, I went off on a bit of a tangent there. I used a 15Mbps model in the audio electronics that I designed and manufactured—I didn’t do anything to any Devialet Phantom speakers.

I was only replying to Rugby’s implication that 192kHz depends on whether or not the connector or the cable was “well-made”. Rather, different models of connectors are, by design, capable of different data bitrates. So a perfectly good “well-made” fully functioning to specification connector may not support 192kHz by design, and an audio product that chooses to use that connector instead of a different one will not support 192kHz by design.

I agree that “well-made” doesn’t cut it. It must be a conscious design decision.

For example Mutec specifies 192kHz for toslink in and out on the MC3 +USB. I do not know if they simply use 15Mbps units or do testing to select before mounting.
Toslink out on the Mutec worked at 192kHz with the main optical input of my Devialet 250 Pro, but only at 96kHz on the combo 3.5mm/toslink. I don’t own Phantoms so I haven’t tested. There are many Phantom owners that have stable 192kHz playback via toslink however.

Yes! Devialet have finally made the Phantoms Roon Ready!

3 Likes

Hi @Dean

I noticed you are using a miniDSP box and Mutec MC-3+ USB to feed your Phantoms.

Just wondering if you updated Phantom firmware (now Roon Ready) and thought about trying the room EQ all within Roon?

So you would only have ethernet and power cables connected to the Phantoms?

1 Like

I’ve no interest. DIRAC Live is built into the miniDSP SHD, and it does a great job. It’s also continually being developed. In the time and effort it would take for me to possibly learn how to do it via other means and load into Roon, I could spend that time listening and enjoying music. There was enough of a learning curve (and tweaking to my heart’s content) via Dirac Live that I am completely satisfied with the resulting digital room correction. I also enjoy using it as a preamp along with its physical remote.

Where I do employ Roon’s EQ / DSP is for headphone listening, with great results.

The Mutec, now that it is integrated into the system, is not something I would remove. All the components contribute to the sound. I’m a happy camper.

Ah yes I forgot that’s the Dirac Live box.

Dirac Live is top notch and so easy to setup.

Carry on then :grin:

Hi @Dean
the Mutec is a nice device! I’m sure it makes a difference. I used one with my D250 Pro. How do you connect the Mutec? Toslink to one Reactor and ethernet cable between them?

That’s the way to do it.

I am amazed so far with the sound and better reliability of my Roon ready Phantoms Premier. It took time for Devialet/Roon to come out with it but the result is brilliant. Thanks to both teams.

4 Likes