Connecting HDMI, or Network

I have a Nucleus +, it is connected to the network and I can see my NAS, Pre-Amps and the zones. I was wondering what is the best way to listen to the music. Should I connect the Nucleus + using HDMI to my Pre (My Pre-has really good DAC), or should I just us the Nucleus as a Roon Core and use a network streamer for audio]?

It is best to test both options and choose the one you like the most. This is if they have similar technical characteristics (some DACs have various limitations for some types of connections).

I have mine setup with HDMI and Ethernet, and can also use the USB connection if I want to. HDMI will play multi-channel if that is something your interested in.

Welcome to the community.

This is the way Roon suggests you do it. Core is kept out of the listening space and connects via Ethernet to an endpoint connected to a pre/amp/etc. You can use a full on Roon Ready streamer, or, you can use a little Pi. Some examples, are ultraRendu, Allo Digione (if you need a coax interface), Lumin product, etc.

Thanks ALL of you for your comments and help. This is my first time posting a question on any forum.

I dont have any multichannel audio in my NAS drive and I dont know of any service that streams them so I may not use the HDMI. The original idea behind using HDMI was to use the DA in my Pre and not have another box, also switching between sources is also convenient. Also I didn’t want to use Apple Airplay for this although I know I could.

I will also look for as Music Streamer device that could fit the bill and there are so many of them. Maybe even one with a headphone amp, I dont have headphone connection in my system.

Thanks again. Stay safe, and Let the music inspire you.
Jorge