Connecting ROCK to receiver with HDMI

Hi, guys.

Would it be possible to use an HDMI audio extractor (or other type of adapter cable to separate sound and video) to use with my HP 600 G3, ROCK server to my Marantz SR7012 HDMI input?

Will a setup like that cause any problem for the ROCK going through an HDMI audio/video splitter?

My current setup, with both video/audio going through the cable, is working fine, though.

Hi, Carl.
I’ve noticed that you have edited my originally message and replaced ROCK with MOCK. But no reply to my question, though.
As I’m shure of, and what a lot of Roons customers should be aware of is that the ROCK can run stable on a lot of different configurations as long as the parts involved are Intel, which my HP box are. It’s been up for 6 months now, with no issues. Of course there are no issues, it’s all Intel except for the Hewlett Packard logo in front.
The thing is that my my preowned HP Prodesk 600 and many other mini PCs cost less than $200.You can probably get a preowned NUC in the US for the same price, but not here in Norway (and I’m sure in many other countrys in Europe).
Since Roon is offering their customers to build their own servers, even highlighting what HW that are compatible with the Roon OP, all brands or boxes using that HW should be part of the ROCK community and treated with respect and with support.
Not as Mockery.
Thx.

It may work on other hardware, but ROCK is only tested and supported on the listed NUCs. Whether a specific part, like HDMI audio, works on any given non-NUC hardware is down to chance, and HDMI specifically doesn’t even work on all supported NUC models.

If HDMI works on your hardware, a splitter is just fine

All works like a charm on my HP box, and like I wrote in my message, has been for 6 months with no issues. That goes for local streaming and ARC.That there is need for a NUC to be sure everything is stable, sounds like politics to me. Same goes for “unsupported” DACs.

The Roon OS is brilliant, I would never change it for the world. Im streaming everything over the ROCK, inkl Tidal.
But I would like my configuration to be called a ROCK and not a MOCK and not have a moderator change my message like Im a second grade customer because I dont follow protocol.
Thats what fired me a little bit up today

Thx for the answer, I’ll buy a splitter to separate my audio.

You may want to, but it isn’t. The documentation that specifies „What hardware does ROCK run on?“ explicitly has only the approved NUC hardware on the list. On other hardware it isn’t ROCK and isn’t supported or guaranteed to work.

Everything else would be a support nightmare for Roon because Roon OS would have to support arbitrary hardware.

Even your question of „does HDMI work“ would be impossible to answer

If you want to run Roon Server on arbitrary hardware, the solution already exists in the form of Windows or Linux distributions. Or try with ROCK and either it works or not

What you are trying to accomplish is unclear. Because ROCK/MOCK does not support video output on HDMI. Just a few lines of diagnostic text is the persistent and only video signal.

AJ

Good point, I overlooked that the Marantz had an HDMI input, so using the HDMI may just work with audio (and never video, as you say, of course).

Because the splitter was mentioned I was thinking of splitting the audio off the HDMI to convert for S/PDIF or some such