Connection interrupted

Here’s what I get when I try to open Roon on my iMac desktop, which is the Roon server, always has been, and was working yesterday and the day before. This kind of thing is absolutely maddening. Rebooting over and over again to overcome some un-debugged anomaly in the program is extremely frustrating.

Then I get this when I try to create this topic under the name “Roon non-connection”

Did you try clicking “Select a different Roon Server”? Usually your normal one will be listed and then you can re-select it

I clicked that and it said if I selected another server — which I don’t have — “You won’t be able to access the music you had before. Is that what you want?"
So that seemed like not what I wanted to do.

Ignore that and it will find your original server.

It’s just not very clear wording for this case. In principle, you can use more than one server with one Roon license, but only one at a time. Therefore, if you switch to a different server you can temporarily not access the music on the previous server. But you can always freely switch between the servers, and you can always access the music on the server that you switched to.

In your case, Roon probably just got confused, so you need to tell it again which server you want to use (your regular one)

Thank you both.
But to reiterate: I do not have any other server besides my Mac desktop computer. There is no other server to choose.
And selecting the other phantom server with this admonition — “You won’t be able to access the music you had before. Is that what you want?" — is a leap of faith I am not willing to take. Someone needs to do something about that language.
To sum up, as was the case with a different, very recent problem, when Tidal went AWOL, a restart of the Mac brought the Roon software back into use.

We understood that. The “other” server would be the same one as usual. If happens that Roon gets confused, we have seen this a thousand times on the forum.

I already explained it. People do this all the time. The language is not ideal, it should say “you can only. see the music on the server to which you are connected”. But I explained this as well.

Good, enjoy

1 Like

Look, all due respect, and I’m glad that Roon has an active forum that has covered this problem “thousands of times,” but I have had this happen ONE time. No, it shouldn’t say “you can only see the music on the server. …” It should say “Click here to reconnect to your server.” Problem solved.

Sure, so luckily there are users like me and @ged_hickman1 who have seen it before and tried to help with an explanation.

Not sure why you ask and then not only refuse the advice (your choice) but keep arguing about it. Take it or leave it….

No it should not, because this would then be incorrect for the use case where people DO have more than one server and switch between them.

3 Likes