Connectivity issues with Tidal since I added 2 Devialet Phantom II speakers

I have now connected all speakers via LAN - the problem is still the following:

1. the Phantom I (alone) plays without problems (streaming high quality Tidal music via Roon via WIFI/or LAN )

2. any Phantom II (even by itself/ so no other speaker connected) CANNOT play high quality Tidal music via Roon - not even via LAN
    comment: why would Phantom I alone work and Phantom II alone not?

3. Any combination of speakers only works in low quality streaming - no matter via LAN or Wifi

I run 1 Phantom 1 and 2 Phantom II speakers (Devialet) via Roon (streaming of TIDAL)
When running low streaming quality from Tidal the system works fine.
When running high quality streaming quality from Tidal the following happens:

1. With about half of the albums I tried on Tidal the system now works fine even on high quality.
  2. With the other half the system only works fine on low quality. If set to high quality I get connectivity issues and too many failures and the system shuts down.
  3. With ONLY the Phantom I the system works fine with ALL albums, even on high quality.

Hey guys. I can also pitch in here cause I also have encountered numerous issues with my Devialet-speakers.

I have

Roon Core Machine

Intel NUC i5-10210U Frost Canyon M.2, 16 GB DDR4, 512GB M.2 Drive

Networking Gear & Setup Details

Unifi Network with 3x Unifi Nano-HD APs with latest firmware.
(Rock solid and performing >400 Mbit in all my appartment overall, as well as super low latency)
My network reports 99% quality in Unifi controller. All devices are within ~5 meters of an AP and has very strong signal. Each speaker is manually configured to connect to the closest AP (no automatic AP selection) This doesn’t seem to change drop-outs happening.

Connected Audio Devices

• 2x Devialet Phantom 1 (Gold) (encounter dropouts)
  • 2x Devialet Phantom 1 (Silver) (encounter dropouts)
  • 2x Devialet Phantom 2 (encounter dropouts)
  • 3x Raspberry Pi’ 4s (working 100% solidly)
  • 1x Bluesound Flex 2i (working 99% solidly)

I can confirm that I encounter continuous issues with drop-outs when trying to play phantoms using Roon, especially if they are set up as “stereo pair” in the Devialet app. My understanding is that, if you have them as “stereo pair” the “main speaker” sends information to the other one, which I believe could be root of issue…

That said. I encounter drop-outs with the Phantom 2’s even when they are hooked up using Ethernet…

If I play the same speakers “not in stereo pair” (one roon endpoint / speaker) I can get it working quite reliably, but once I try use a stereo pair things go haywire. I would appreciate if the Roon devs could try out a pair of Devialet Phantom 2s in Stereo pair… I think it will be super easy to validate these issues.

Network strength is not an issue imo here, but it’s something either in the software or hardware of these speakers…

Many thanks for your input Anton. I am hoping Roon and Devialet can work together on that issue.

Hi @Oswald_Jochum. I have done more research into my system.

It seems it might be WIFI somehow playing a role in the dropouts / problems anyway… I paid closer attention to the ROCK log and what I can see is that my devices with “worst” signal strength reports “Warnings” in the log at certain intervals, and from my understanding, the warnings tell me system clocks gets off-synced with the other devices.

Most of the time Roon manages to sync this up, but sometimes it fails.
It also turned out that some of my endpoints (Raspberry Pi’s) that I’ve seen as “100% solidly(because they never seem to suffer any dropouts / music plays continously) seems to maybe be involved anyway, because they do cause warnings in the log, and seem to introduce time delays into the system, which, from my understanding can cause another Roon device to fail its synchronization, and in the end, if one device fails out the result might be a dropout, or in worst case Roon starts next song or stops playing or such… This is my hobby detective work…

Anyhow, I think there’s plenty of room for the Roon engineers to implement better fail detection/diagnostics into the Roon system. As example, if a device causes time delays, there should be an easy way to get that information in the client. That would heavily help debugging a problematic system. Basically a way to see the “health” of every device in your system and if a device for example cause delays or introduces sync problems, that should be visible clearly somewhere in the client.

For now I will experiment with putting up Powerline-adapters and resolve to that instead of WIFI for those devices that seem problematic and perhaps that will fix my issues… I’ll keep you posted.

I can add my experience with Phantoms, maybe it can help to identify where the problems could be. However I’ve had only Silver and Gold Phantoms and one New Phantom I, 108dB in my different setups. No Phantom II so far.
Until a few weeks ago I had max. 16Mbs download and 1Mbs upload speed. I mention this here because I almost never experienced any dropouts. There was a period in which many Roon users had the “Connectivity issues”…“too many failures”. I suffered this one as well when streaming Qobuz hires (CD quality) through Roon via RPis to three Phantoms. Once Roon fixed this on their server side I did not anymore experience dropouts. Within my network I used WiFi to two RPis to three Phantoms, two paired as a zone and one single zone, both zones merged. While using DOS1 on the Phantoms a Dialog was connected through the LAN to the router. Dialog and the three Phantoms used their PLC. This is relevant for the paired Phantoms. However, Roon used WiFi as path to the RPis that were connected to the Phantoms through optical.
Then after the move to DOS2 the Dialog and RPis became obsolete as the Phantoms became RAAT and Roon can now stream directly to the three Phantoms. I still maintain the same setup of two merged zones. Still with 16Mbs download Qobuz was streaming CD quality without dropouts through Roon. Roon core is a NUC10 with ROCK. As WiFi I’m using 3 meshed EERO pros. The three Phantoms I have set to use preferred the internal PLC but still the WiFi is needed for Roon Remote and at least to one Phantom Roon has to stream through WiFi as no Phantom is LAN wired with the router and NUC. Still no dropouts when streaming CD quality Qobuz. And no dropouts when playing local files up to 192k/24. My latest updates: Finally, my neighborhood got fiber connected. Now I have up to 500 MBs in both directions and decided to go for Qobuz Studio Sublime and can stream 192k/24 to the 3 Phantoms on DOS2 using NUC ROCK with RAAT protocol both Qobuz streaming and local files without any dropouts. None of the Phantoms are wire connected except for power supply and the Devialet internal PLC.
My conclusion:

• for CD quality streaming from Qobuz 16 MBs download (through ADSL line) is sufficient for Roon RAAT to 2 endpoints (zones)
  • a good functioning WiFi (in my case three EERO pro) is essential. Wifi to Phantoms works within 10m, no Ethernet connection needed for RAAT for hires streaming.
  • Devialet and Roon and Qobuz have made their homework to enable dead stable RAAT streaming at least for my setup. Seeing others having problems indicates me that there is still room for making streaming more robust on wireless networks.
  • My setup probably functions in rather ideal environment as I live rural with a few neighbors to share WiFi bandwidth. A robust WiFi setup needs to be found individually and needs to be robust end-to-end.

I have got a bunch of Powerline Adapters up and working now, and I can report that dropouts no longer occur, at least not even close to where I’d consider a problem… A quite cheap solution.

My advice is that you invest in some Powerline Adapters and see if that resolves your problem :slight_smile:

I have been really stubborn… changed my whole WIFI setup two times, going from ASUS (cheap) to ASUS Mesh (more expensive) to finally ending on a full Unifi-system which is great, but still not seems to solve Roon WIFI hifi streaming to 10 endpoints… WIFI perhaps is just not cutting it here.

Now I have managed to Wire everything using Ethernet cable and Powerline adapters to reach those points I didn’t have ethernet wired to… It seems solid so far.

This topic was automatically closed 36 hours after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.