Considering Roon But I'm Confused? Please Help

I use Roon with Sonos for my backyard. It’s great for pool parties. The blue sounds may offer the best fidelity and flexibility down the road but the sonos systems are getting better by the day. Take one step at a time starting with what you have and you will never go wrong. The oppo will not be a choice in the near future because they will stop delivering in June. I have DACs that cost much, much more that don’t sound any better than my oppo udp 203 DAC. It’s a last chance opportunity that you won’t regret.

Bill

Please, tell me how you use Roon with Sonos. I do not have speakers at the moment and so I need to get this right. Since Sonos isn’t Roon ready, do you have to switch between applications to use the Sonos and the Roon?

Roon can SEE any Sonos device on the same Local network. Just choose Sonos as your endpoint in the Roon app on your macBook, your iPhone, or your iPad and you’re off and running. If you have Sonos speakers in more than one room, you can add them together within the Roon app also. Roon is just so easy to use that it hurts.

I have 2 Sonos Play:1 in the Kitchen and Bathroom (see below) and they work great with Roon. You won’t need to switch between Roon and the Sonos App at all.

Hmm, thats interesting, I just bought a 203 from Oppo through Amazon for $559 (it was delivered Friday), they must be starting to jack the price.

Nice buy bear…

One thing that you need to be aware of is that while you can “group” Sonos devices together for simultaneous playback in other zones using Sonos devices, you won’t be able to group them with Roon devices. Roon devices can also be grouped, but again, it’s like with like…

O.K. everyone, thank you for your help so far. I just took the plunge and bought my first 2 pieces of equipment. (Yes, my Bose Wave Radio is finally on the way out.) This is what I got:

1. LG GE24NU40 Super Multi External 24x DVD Rewriter. I can’t bear the thought of ripping my CD’s on my 2010 MacBook Pro once again. It took forever. This should be much faster.

2. The OPPO 203. Thanks for the link, William. I got it for $679.

Now what’s next? I need to something to rip my CD’s to. I want simple. How about the Roon Nucleus?

David,

I can see you have many questions about your home music system that may be difficult to discuss at length in a public forum as this. What Roon Core? What Speaker Systems? How to rip and Store music for a home network. How much does all this cost? maybe private messaging would be a better option, Go to The Computer Audiophile website and study up on building your own Roon Rock.

BYou can’t rip with the nucleus. It’s just a Roon Core. The sonic transporter maybe can but a Andrew hasn’t chimed in yet.

One issue with Sonos is that you can’t stream with other roon endpoints at the same time with the same source in sync, same for Apple TV etc…the oppo will be Roon Ready and stream using RAAT so other endpoints you want to stream tthe same synced content too must also be RAAT capable.while I don’t have any experience with Sonos the roon guys do and can advise, @support

You don’t have to jump on the lifetime so quickly…get a 1year and if you just love it then upgrade with the one year as a prorated option.

The microJukebox is a great product but does not have the CPU power for Roon.

You get lower audio quality playing CD without ripping them so I would not recommend that.

The soncTransporter i7 is what you really need. It can

• Rip CDs
  • Run Roon server
  • Very fast CPU for Roon DSP features
  • Runs other software such as HQPlayer and DLNA not just Roon if you ever want that.
  • Has built in storage so you don’t need to deal with a NAS.

This will give you the most flexibility, ease of use, and best audio quality.

We also have custom solution if you are interested in that. Click the contact us button in the lower right of your web site and we can discuss our stock products or custom products.

Thank you for the suggestion. But wow, $2,855? I love the fact that it runs Roon and that it stores music on an SSD but I don’t need 4TB’s of storage. That’s huge. If I got the sonicTransporter do I also need an i7 NUC or does that Transporter have everything I need?

No you don’t need anything else. Not even a computer!

The sonicTransporter i7 has a much faster CPU then an i7 NUC. It has a quad core i7 vs the dual core i7 in the NUC.

Contact me on my web site. I can build you a cheaper unit with less storage.

Thanks, Andrew. I want to keep this as simple as possible. I’ll have the OPPO 203 to play individual CD’s and the sonictransporter to store my ripped CD’s on. Besides wireless speakers, will I need anything else?

Because it also works as a Roon endpoint. They are in short supply though. Multipleuse disc spinner and network player.

UDP203

Are the speakers Roon Ready?

@rrwwss52 makes a good point. Your Oppo is already a Roon Ready endpoint so there is nothing else you need.

Also, let’s say I play a CD from the OPPO to my speakers. Then I play the same ripped CD from the SonicTransporter to my speakers. Will the sound quality be equal from each device? Will the OPPO or the SonicTransporter sound better? I would hate to invest a lot of money in the SonicTransporter and have the sound quality be inferior to the OPPOS.

Dont’ wanna be a PITA David, but have you read this?

https://roonlabs.com/howroonworks.html

2 Likes

LOL, the answer is, It depends…on how the speakers are hooked up, how you rip the CD, etc. etc…

To be clear here the CD you play from the oppo can only play to the speakers, receiver, DAC, etc that are hooked up to the Oppo, not to the Roon endpoints.

Only the ripped CD and digital files that the Roon core has imported will play to the Roon endpoints (speakers, and devices, enabled in Roon to receive music).

So, the up shot is, you are asking about apples and oranges…