Consistent and easy way to add a tag to a track (preferably while playing)

When trying to add a tag to a track, it seems I have to go through a myriad of non-possibilities first. Is this a bug or does the tagging functionality need to be made a lot simpler? Or am I doing it all wrong? Example. I play ‘The Seagull’ by Paolo Fresu. While playing I hit the three dots and I add the track to my library. I hit the three dots again and would now expect to see the possibility “Add to tag”. But this is not the case. After the track finishes, I go to History and find The Seagull. I hit the three dots… but again, no option to “Add to tag”. I go to the playlist (local copy) in which I know The Seagull is and find it there. I hit the three dots… no possibility to “Add to tag” either. I go to My Library > Tracks > The Seagull. I hit the three dots… hallelujah! I can now, finally, “Add to tag”.

2 Likes

I am very happy with the improved Focus-possibilities. What I keep struggling with: how to add personal tags in an efficient way?? I understand that the Roon-team and a lot of (long time) Roon users think in terms of the artists and albums they have in their (Roon) “collection”. I don’t. I think in tracks (I like) and playlists (I make). I can’t be the only (new) user who experiences music in that way, can I? And I would like to add tags to a lot of tracks, so that, in the Roon marketing words: I can “Organize my music using Playlists and Tags. Combine music files and streaming content in my playlists, or use tags for even more flexibility.” What the promo talk forgot to mention is that the system is not tailored (yet??) to adding your personal tags to tracks starting from the playlists you have…
Is there anybody out there in the community who uses personal tags and who can explain to me how (s)he does this in an efficient way?
Or is there anybody on the Roon team who can tell me whether this is an issue you plan to work on (by adding the possibility to add tags starting from a playlist)?
Thank you! And congrats with the latest update.

1 Like

For a more detailed description of how and why I am having trouble adding tags to tracks in my library, see: Almost impossible to "Add to tag" more than 99% of the Tracks that are in "My Library"
If anyone out there can give me advice, that would be much appreciated.

1 Like

Thank you François for all your work describing this issue.

The impact of which makes play/shuffle from a tag including playlists impossible.