Constant Database Corruptions

Core Machine (Operating system/System info/Roon build number)

Windows 10 Pro build 2004
Ryzen 7 3800X; 32GB RAM.
Roon 1.7 build 667.

Network Details (Including networking gear model/manufacturer and if on WiFi/Ethernet)

Wired.

Audio Devices (Specify what device you’re using and its connection type - USB/HDMI/etc.)

Many devices (Android phones, Apple laptops, Windows desktops).
The Core has RME ADI-2 DAC connected to it.

Description Of Issue

Roon fails to load. All the time.
When trying to start Roon, it isn’t responding.
I then have to uninstall, including wiping the DB and reinstall and restore a backup.
This can happen multiple times a day.
The other part of the issue is that most of the backups that are created are corrupted and can’t be restored at all.
I basically have to make multiple backups with every tiny change I do to the DB (either adding albums, or merging versions, editing metadata, etc.) and hope that one of them works.

I actually turn off my machines, so I have to start Roon every time. And every time there’s a high chance (>50%) that it will fail to load, and I’ll have to reinstall it.
That kind of beats the point of having an “issue free” system :frowning:

I’ve been having this for a while, and actually posted about this issue before, but got no replies.
I have noticed that if I turn off or restart my machine when Roon is open this happens almost every single time.
If I close Roon, it still happens very frequently (that’s the >50% of the times).

The fact that most backups don’t work, and that Roon does open (splash screen, app opens) but then hangs, leads me to believe this is an issue with the DB becoming corrupt, and the app failing to handle the bad data, or gracefully fallback (to allow restoring a backup without a complete reinstall).
All backups say they are successful, and all backup restores say they are successful, so if that’s the case, it seems that there’s an issue with verifying the integrity of the DB when creating/restoring backups.

Not really sure how to resolve the issue, and would really want this fixed.
Please help.
Thanks!!!

The DB should not get corrupted all by itself.

I would try a complete hardware diagnostics. Memory, CPU, main board, graphics, hard drive etc.

–MD

Hi @xup,

Corruption is generally pretty rare, so if it’s happening this frequently it’s almost always a sign of failing hardware. I’d definitely start by doing as Mike suggested above — Check the hardware on this machine for any failing components.

Cool. Thanks! I’ll run some diagnostics over the weekend and see if I can find the culprit.

1 Like

Aha, I’ve run into the same problem. It’s a pisser to find that, in spite of Roon’s guarantees, the backup process is suspect.

I’ve heard some comments from Roon that backing up a corrupted library will be addressed. We’ll see. Until then, I take multiple backups, on different drives, with different retention periods, on the belief that I can go far enough back to find a uncorrupted backup.

As far as the corrupted database, are you running Roon or RoonServer?

I had nothing but trouble running RoonServer. When I switched to the full Roon all problems went away.

I also run on a Ryzen. Dunno.

This topic was automatically closed 365 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.