Control4 Integration

I am getting the error that my core needs to be updated but I am on the latest version running on my laptop and I have authorized the extension in the settings menu. I have a simple setup as I am just compiled my library from a network server and I am streaming it via Apple TV.

Is there a new version of the driver? I am running C4 2.9.1 and from what I have read it is compatible.

1 Like

I thought Control4 was only useable with Nucleus hardware?
@danny?

Would be good to know…It does not specify in the driver, but I have everything working…just can’t select device as a zone in composer

Hi @David_Toliver,

At this time, the Control4 driver is only compatible with Nucleus running as the Roon Core, you have what appears to be a Windows based Roon Core so this is the reason why you are seeing that error message.

Currently, we do not have plans to add other operating systems to the integrations, it is solely limited to Nucleus but this may change down the road (note: ROCK is also not compatible).

You can read the following thread for more information on why we limit Home Automation Modules to just the Nucleus for now:

Thanks,
Noris

Software is great but for $500 for a lifetime subscription and then limiting the driver to integrate ONLY with your hardware in a control system is rather short sighted especially since you have such a large Hi-fi Partner network.

2 Likes

Hi @David_Toliver,

Thank you for the feedback here. I can’t comment on when (or if) we will be expanding functionality in this area but I will bring up your request with the product team.

Thanks,
Noris

1 Like

It seems to me that if we are running a 100% specified by Roon ROCK platform, there’s no reason to not sell us the C4 integration. I can understand the support nightmare for non-compliant Core’s. Just like any of the big S/W vendors, Cisco, Citrix, VMware, Oracle, etc…, if you are out of compliance you don’t get support until you upgrade your deployment to compliance.

Would I pay $250 for an awesome C4 integration? Yes. As long as it doesn’t mimic the horrible Tidal C4 app.

Frankly, I would rather have a ROKU interface, but since the C4 already exists, I would use it.

It’s not a high bar to release this to compliant ROCK users. Who doesn’t want another source of revenue?

Cheers,
Vince

1 Like

Very disappointed the the C4 integration is only for a Nucleus core! This requirement should be more clearly stated in the Control4 Driver Manual that Roon created. It would avoid some of us trying to get it working on a non-Nucleus core.

The manual on page 2 mentions the Nucleus but then states clearly -

These drivers are compatible with Roon 1.4 (build 306) and above and Control4 version 2.9.1 and above.

Why not add “in addition to the Nucleus or Nucleus+ as the Roon Core” ???!!!

2 Likes

Hello @Rob_Simpson,

Thanks for the feedback here. We clearly state this limitation on both the Control4 and Crestron Knowledge Base articles at the top of the page:

We also note this limitation in the Home Automation category itself:

I will discuss with the team about adding additional notices in the documentation, but it is already very clearly stated in my opinion.

Thanks,
Noris

I couldn’t agree more. The software is nice and if you are getting the lifetime subscriptions it shouldn’t matter. Also the nucleus hardware is already outdated and the storage is lacking as I have at least 10 TBs of music alone and the nucleus is not expandable and can’t be upgraded to a RAID.

1 Like

FWIW, I’d also be happy to pay an extra $250 for a Control4 driver for my ‘standard’ Intel NUC ROCK setup.

1 Like

The response I received last year was that the Crestron and C4 extensions, along with some firmware tweaks, were purposefully limited to Nucleii in order to differentiate the Nucleii from the DIY MOCKs and ROCKs.

It seems to me that the Nuclei is already distinguished from it’s non-branded cousins just by the fact that they have dealer support. Personally, I find this decision without merit. If you have an “official” build of a ROCK and didn’t stray from the recommendations, I can’t see why Roon wouldn’t want to sell the C4 drivers. To keep support issues down, it might be as simple as denying a sale or support to anyone who doesn’t comply.

Alas, this has been said already and nothing has come of it. C’est la vie.

2 Likes

I’m consulting with a Control4 integrator, and am disappointed that a Nucleus is required. I already have a more advanced ROCK setup using a NUC 8i7. I agree with above posts that if hardware meets/exceeds a Nucleus and is running official ROCK software, then it should be Control4 compatible.

2 Likes

Is it possible for C4 to control Roon in a Linux environment like Ubuntu? I have read that it can control XMBC.

And to make your point further, there would generally be no additional end-user support traffic generated, since most C4 installations are done by dealers.

I “charged the hill” about this issue about a year ago. I returned: alive, bloodied, but unbowed. :slight_smile:

1 Like

It is difficult to get clear answers. Unless you have a brother-in-law in the business, C4 keeps a tight rein over its product specs. One can’t generally have a peek under the hood unless you are a qualified dealer.

I abandoned my C4 setup for this and other reasons, and have found a delightfully acceptable alternative in a Harmony Remote and Extension.

Yesterday my C4 installer and I integrated a Pre into our Home Theater rig mostly to get a bit better sound out of 2 Channel. It clearly does sound better. While we were dorking around C4 and Roon integration came up. His response - “it would be so easy, and we wouldn’t need support from Roon at all, it makes absolutely no sense. If you did, they could easily refuse support if you don’t have a Rock.” Sound familiar?

This topic was automatically closed 365 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.