Cooking and music

Our extractor has a loud (banned) and quiet setting. It’s still annoying, I sense an audiophile extractor fan may be a genuine market gap :wink:

Edit Larger, slow moving fans, audiophile bearings, vent baffles for ink black exhaust noise backgrounds. We’ll be rich I tell you…

Edit Awwww, you’ve started something:

I sense that site getting some serious read time…

2 Likes

Must be a nice set. I have a CD set by Schiff that I ripped (also “auto ripped” by Amazon, but that doesn’t count. MP3 only), and an LP set by Barenboim. No Uchida Mozart, that I recall. But…I just heard her last week at Union College in Schenectady, NY, playing Beethoven’s last 3 piano sonatas. General admission, got there early, for a prime keyboard view seat. Magnificent!

When I’m cooking and listening to music, it’s usually Internet radio, such as WFMT in Chicago. My kitchen system consists of a Squeezebox Touch and a pair of Audioengine A3’s.

Would love to get your miso soup recipe. Just had some for lunch, at a local sushi restaurant. I’ve never been able to duplicate what I get at Japanese restaurants at home.

1 Like

It’s not just the hood, how you have it ducted makes a difference. Eschew reducers, rectangular ducts, sharp bends, or preferably any bends. It may say that in the article. When I have 10 minutes I’ll read it.

1 Like

Made Chili on Saturday and was listening to

1 Like

Its not special:

1 - Make Dashi

Take 1 4" square of Kombu and bring it slowly to a boil with 4 cups of water about 10 minutes. Scoop it out right before it really boils or it will get slimy. (Save the Kombu to make Kombu Tsukudani (Simmered Kombu))

Add 1 cup of Bonito flakes and bring to a boil for 30 seconds, then turn off heat, and wait til the flakes settle on the bottom.

Strain the flakes out ( and save them to make Furikake ). This gives you dashi. ( I think the correct term is Awashi Dashi as there are different forms of dashi).

2 - Make Miso Soup

Assuming it is still hot, if not, reheat to hear boiling, add 2 teaspoons of Miso paste for each cup of dashi (I use red miso paste). Stir, add some fresh sliced green onion, some cubes of tofu and a cut piece of Nori.

I make the Dashi and then make the Miso soup right before eating. Also, you can do the above recipe for Dashi twice, the second time (like re-using a tea bag) the dashi is mellower in flavor.

1 Like

:rofl::rofl:Boy does that bring back childhood memories from 50 years ago! My Grandma was a recycler too, she used to hang her tea bags on the clothesline in preparation for tomorrow’s cups of tea.

We have Tidal, Qobuz and my library, so we just let Roon radio play our selected genre while we cook our meals and Roon radio does a fantastic job.

1 Like