Copy Protected CD won't play

Hello there!
I bought a couple of discs from Discogs, waited a very long time, and finally got it today. Delivery was sooooo long (two and a half months) but my wait was not rewarded properly.
Faced such problem: One disk has copy protection technology. "This disc contains copy control technology. It is designed to be compatible with CD audio players, DVD players, and PC".
My external USB CD-ROM (original Dell) does not understand this disk at all, just does not see it. I tried to play it on Xbox, but it was unsuccessful either, although the Xbox recognized the disc, and even recognized the tracklist, but it could not start playback.
I don’t have an external Hi-Fi player to check.
Googled and read this and this. It seems I need another USB CD-ROM (at least). Well, or a Hi-Fi CD audio player.
Have any of you encountered such a problem? Any thought\advice?

Thanks,
Andrew

Computer with internal CD-Roms used to ignore those copy protection issues. Do you have an older PC with an internal CD drive?

What is the name of the disk(s)?

Unfortunately, I don’t have an old PC with a CD-ROM.
The external Dell optical drive I have was included in the package with my Dell XPS 9570.
The release is Ferry Corsten – World Tour - Washington (2003, CD) - Discogs

I’ve had a couple of similar vintage that I can’t copy on Linux, but I’ve had success with dbPoweramp (on macOS) using the copy protection options.

A couple of things to try:

• Disable auto run in Windows
  • If there’s an extra track, i.e., after a gap with no data, you could the marker pen trick.
1 Like

Well, I’ve tried it in my car (yes, Mazda`s still have a CD slot nowadays) …and it works!
So, I need another USB optical drive to listen to, or to rip the CD. And I don’t want to buy a Hi-Fi CD player, definitely :smiley:

You may be able to buy an old CD-ROM drive and an IDE- or SATA-to-USB adapter for cheap.

I ripped all my cd’s back in 2012. I remember I needed an older laptop’s cd slot to rip a few of these, because they weren’t recognized by my then-new laptop. Also, a few of these were ripped to wav format. I remember vaguely that this was the only format that they could be converted to without faults.

Maybe you can still find an old laptop or so at a charity shop.

I doubt it’s the drive; it is more likely Windows is reading an executable. Try a live Ubuntu CD on the PC to see if that can read the drive.