Core/NUC USB Support for Audio-GD (NOS-11)

Hi,

I have had a look at the “tested” DACs. However, I was wondering if anyone has built a Core device (NUC or other) and proven the USB->Audio-GD can work?

Sorry, but I’m new to Roon and this level of stuff, and don’t want to build something needlessly.

I’ve migrated from a combination of Audivarna/Macbook to Audio-GD via USB (which worked very well) and Volumio on a R/Pi + Justboom Digi Hat + QNAP NAS (storage only).

Currently I have my QNAP as the “core” but I’m suspecting the NAS doesn’t have the “grunt” needed to support the playback of DSF files (SACD rips) - I have to force the resolution down to 96kHz max, otherwise I get static noise: FLAC seems OK, mind you…?

Thanks in advance.

Core running on an old NUC i3 here, but I use a raspberry pi as an audio endpoint currently. It connects to the R2R 11 and both USB and SPDIF out work perfectly fine from the rPi.

Honestly, the whole setup was a breeze - it all just worked.

Thanks for that.

Can I ask, are you running the Pi to A-GD via USB from the Pi? I have the DiGi HAT on the Pi and connect via SPDIF. Would prefer to run via USB (well, ideally via I2S but other than the Magna HiFi streamer, I’m unaware of a unit out in the market which is not a “kit”). What “OS” is on the Pi?

Also, when I get my full library up and running, there’ll be about 20k tracks. Will the i3 model be suitable? Or should I consider i5 or i7.

Thanks in advance

Roland.

Can I ask, are you running the Pi to A-GD via USB from the Pi? I have the DiGi HAT on the Pi and connect via SPDIF. Would prefer to run via USB (well, ideally via I2S but other than the Magna HiFi streamer, I’m unaware of a unit out in the market which is not a “kit”).

Yes, from the dirty USB ports of an rPi 3. The Amanero interface on the R2R cleans up the signal very well. I also have the 502 DAC hat from piMedia for SPDIF out. I’ve switched between USB/SPDIF and haven’t noticed any clear differences in reproduction. Some people on headfi have reported that the Schiit Eatr did provide considerable improvements in noise floor though.

What “OS” is on the Pi?

I’m running dietPi. It’s been brilliant. The roon endpoint is a supported package that can be installed through the UI. It worked without configuration.

Also, when I get my full library up and running, there’ll be about 20k tracks. Will the i3 model be suitable? Or should I consider i5 or i7.

I have not nearly as many tracks on my NAS, maybe about 2000, so can’t really say. However I use the NUC as a media PC as well, streaming high-res video while using Roon and there haven’t been any hiccups. From their recommendations, an i3 should be fine (and they are very conservative).

Thanks.

Have messed around somewhat and am delighted to say it’s all working fine - thanks!

Now just need to figure out how to get Qobuz and Airplay…

Thanks again, @Bram_Ueffing1. I’m really blown away by the noticeable difference in sound quality.

1 Like

Great! What headphones do you use with the Audio-gd? I really enjoy mine with high impedence Sennheisers (from HD 540 to HD 650). They provide a natural, dynamic and smooth reproduction together.