Correcting metadata - it takes really way too long

How much metadata is enough? If Roon didn’t pull any metadata, we’d all be stuck with our own tagging and no cross linking…

How much obscure hardware support is enough? I could always choose hardware that’s known to work…

Pick your own compromise…

I’m just challenging the premise of this thread. Not everyone here thinks 100 percent accurate metadata is more important than everything else Roon might be working on and needs to fix. FOR ME, it’s not even on the radar. I can live with 99 percent accurate metadata.

But could you live with 50% accurate metadata?

Everyone’s use case is different. Have you never corrected metadata?

Never corrected anything. Just listen to the music and sometimes read the review. I couldn’t believe a thread I saw the other day that someone was concerned the lyrics were wrong. Who cares? Why would that matter to anyone?

Fair enough. You’ve decided what is important to you. Although the review is only there because Roon is able to identify the album…

Disclosure: I don’t think my local library matches are anywhere near 99%, and I’m not too worried about the odd ‘error’ where I think it’s wrong, but in the few cases where I have wanted to fix something, I’d agree with the original premise that it’s too difficult by half! Maybe if I did it more often I’d be more proficient.

I could as well. But to get there, I’ve to help out by adding metadata to musicbrainz myself. Else Roon would have less than 85 % of my albums identified.

Anyway, this thread wasn’t about the need for metadata, initially. It was about the usability of Roon inline editing tools - or the lack of it.

2 Likes

This thread is not about wether metadata is important to you or not, is about the album identification tool. Have you ever tried using it? If you don’t need it you are a lucky man. In my case around 5% of albums are not recognized by Roon. This is caused by the fact that I am solely in to computer audio since almost 25 years by now. Back then there was no ‘standard’ in tagging albums so Roon does not recognize all of them. Albums that are not recognized by Roon don’t have any album reviews, they don’t show up in metadata search results, they don’t have any links to other artists, person etc etc. The album identification tools is the only tool Roon provides you to try to get the albums being recognised. And that tool my friend is the very worst piece of UI ever written. Might seem unimportant to anyone who has a 99% recognized collection but if you don’t it is a piece of utter frustration to use. Since I pay Roon for the metadata they provide I think it is very reasonable to ask them to have a look in to the unworkable tools they provide. That’s what this thread is about.

1 Like

Do you know this is a substantial amount?
I mean I am sure there is a cost, but I dont know what that cost is (e.g there is only a voluntary charge for MusicBrainz data)

@mikeb

To be honest, I can’t be bothered to play with it either. I edit metadata externally and tell Roon to “prefer file” for the few completely lost causes.

Thus far, (only a new user), I have Roon use my metadata. Yup, I’ve spent years prior to Roon ensuring all my files have the metadata I need & tagged in the same format. As of now - that’s 4993 albums. It’s just become a matter of course for me to ensure my metadata is correct before I transfer to my NAS drive.

I get I’m rather obsessive about this & for most I assume they’ve assigned Roon to do that duty. And for many I assume (but certainly not all as per this thread), that’s one of, if not the main reason they decided to buy/subscribe to Roon in the first instance.

So a means for better/increased collection of metadata or ease of correction via Roon’s UI, I would assume would be welcomed by virtually all users.

Whether that’s a high priority for users I have no idea. However, any useful improvements can only make for a better user experience.

2 Likes

I think it is really unproductive (and kind of passive aggressive) to come into any feature request topic and begin arguing against the requested change on the basis that you personally consider the feature unimportant. If you think a specific feature request, if implemented, will be negative to your Roon experience, that is one thing. But to come here and just argue that what others want is unimportant because you don’t personally need it is just trolling.

Let’s please use this topic to tell the Roon Team what at least some of us want and trust them to prioritize based on their 40,000 foot view of Roon users.

4 Likes

HI Jim F - I don’t mean to pile on, but maybe you’re misunderstanding the focus of this thread.

If you go to the Album Viewer and then Focus on unidentified albums, you may see that there is some significant portion of your library that Roon doesn’t know what the album is. Because of this, certain features of Roon’s AI do not work well with those albums. And there are other Roon features that also rely on identifying the album.

Roon’s tool for identifying albums is brutal. It’s worse than trying to do a large crossword puzzle on an airline seat tray. And there really isn’t any reason for that - it could be a lot easier, including that Roon could just take a better best guess at an initial identification and then have a category called “ID needing confirmation” while still working with the AI and other features.

So this really doesn’t have to do with the third trombonist on some album at all. Some might like that level of precision. I just want duplicates to sort themselves out better and such.

Roon is definitely not “unusuable” with this, but that tool is a medieval torture device, pure and simple, and needs some TLC.

Is this as important as social distancing? No, but we all have a bit more time on our hands these days…

OK (10 characters).

Well said!

1 Like