CPU load spikes on MacBook Pro

Hi,

Sadly have to add my experience to this issue. Attaching screenshots to illustrate.

I use roon core and playback from my laptop, music is on external HDD connected to laptop. DAC connected via USB to laptop.
Macbook Pro 15" 2019, 8core, 32 GB RAM, Vega 20 Graphics. (Latest model)

The moment Roon starts, the CPU jumps to 250 to 300 % for Roon alone then another 100% for RAAT without any DSP or other corrections applied.

The Fans turn to maximum power, as you can see from the highlighted SMC Fan Controls info - Also see CPU Graph and Cpu Temperature jumping to 90+ degrees.

Not even 4K video editing gets the fans running this high this quickly!!! It’s comparable to 3D rendering.

I just recently moved the Roon core to my Laptop, so can’t report when the issue appeared - used to run it on a separate computer.

The issue persists as long as Roon is open, even if minimised running in the background.

Kindly please keep us updated on this - as it’s basically rendering Roon useless atm. The fans get so loud that they badly interfere with the music. Using the Tidal App, Youtube, Deezer or Audirvana never gets the cpu this loaded.

Thanks for taking the time to look into it.

1 Like