Creating 2 libraries

Hi all, I would like to create or seperate my collection of music into 2 libraries, to keep seperate my hi res audio, cd and mp3 music. Is there a simple way to do this please.

Thanks,
Dan

Is there a reason why you don’t simply use Focus to show only hires, CD, or mp3?

Hi, no specific reason, I am just interested to see whether it possible. I use Focus already, but it’s not clear cut with wanting to see two seperate libraries of music. I should have been more specific, there is a bit of cross over, I have a collection that I use specifically for djing so want to keep that seperate.

I moved this to the Roon Software Discussion category as it is not a technical support question.

I am not sure if you would have two libraries in the strictest sense within Roon with the separation your are considering. Roon consolidates all of your watched directories and online music from the integrated streaming services into a common library.

At best you could turn of/off watched directories if you wanted to limit what you see, but I believe what @Suedkiez recommends with Focus may be more efficient. You could tag all of your DJ files as one option and sort on the that tag, or activate/de-activate the watched directories. I believe another user a few years ago separated all of their holiday music into a separate watched directory and selectively turned that on during the holiday season, and off at other times.

You can’t have two libraries only one database is created. Having more than one would be a significant strain on the core as managing one the way Roon does is not particularly light.

You can add more than one watched folder though and use focus to only show one of these locations then create a bookmark to easily switch.

So you can have a music folder then have subfolders dividing your library up into different sections and add each one as a separated watched folder. I do this for. Lossless and lossy.

Music/lossless
Music/lossy

But all this can be done using focus and choose format and not rates. So not really necessary.

@Simon_Arnold3 has it

I have 2 libraries “core” and “non core”, i have a large classical collection and having box sets leads to a lot of duplication , so any older (poor SQ) recordings and blatant duplicates go into non core .

I keep the non core disabled which speeds up Roon as the number of tracks is much lower. I started with all tracks active and allowed the analysis to finish before disabling that folder so when you want the non core library it load almost instantaneously.

Its a workaround for the inability to have 2 active libraries

I have 2 drive and 3 folders , 4tb internal ROCK SSD and a 5Tb External USB

Not ideal but it works , if I deem a recording core then I simply move it between folders on the USB drive Roon catches up.

2 Likes

In addition to what was mentioned before, you might have a look at creating 2 profiles on the same library. Even though your library of music files is identical. You would have the ability to separate tags, playlist, likes to distinguish between the two uses.

Other that that, the only way I can think of to have two separate libraries is to have two separate installs of Roon, probably on 2 separate machines. Unless you want to use both environments at the same time, you do not necessarily need 2 licenses. You can move your license from one environment to the other, but you will need to do so every time you switch environments.

Definitely on 2 separate machines (leaving aside un-supported virtual environments)

I would install two separate Roon servers on different machines. Create each library separately on each machine. Then switch between machines on your remote and you have two completely separate instances. You just can’t use both at the same time.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 45 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.