Creating Roon bridge on Raspberry Pi

Hi all,
I’m a newby who’s been running Roon for some time now without any real problems. I’m not sure if anyone can help me here but I’ve been trying to set up Roon on a Raspberry Pi 3 B+ with an IQaudIO hat. My intention is to have a separate location for headphone listening away from my main system. Assembly was easy but my problems started when I started to try and get the necessary software installed on a Micro SD Card. IQaudIO have a download on their site which I’ve etched onto the SD Card, but the problem is getting the thing to talk to my WiFi. I’ve tried without any success both on my iMac at home and my PC at the Office and I’m now on the point of returning the whole setup. Does anyone know if it is possible to get a pre-configured card that I just punch my WiFi details into? I can’t think of where else to go with this as I’ve exhausted Google searches.
Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks

I’ve tried this (with a different DAC hat) using Ropieee and it worked fine. Ropieee has a web interface that you need to access, initially with a wired ethernet connection) to tell it which hat you’re using and to enable the wifi.

But sorry, I’m not familiar with IQaudiO.

Proper image from here: https://iqaudio.co.uk/blog/roon-wifi-what-s-going-on-n8
“Raspbian allows for users to edit the /boot/wpa_supplicant.conf file and then at Pi startup, the file is moved to /etc/wpa_supplicant/wpa_supplicant.conf and your WiFi settings are configured allowing a connection to our home WiFi router to be established. Then the IQaudIO device showing us as a playback node on the Roon network.”

According to that site previous images did not copy the file correctly on start-up.

How to edit the /boot/wpa_supplicant.conf file:

Man page for that file (if you need more details): https://linux.die.net/man/5/wpa_supplicant.conf

Can you put your Pi on a hardwired ethernet and get to it via ssh? That would allow you to verify that your spa_supplicant.conf file in /boot is actually being copied to /etc/wpa_supplicant directory after boot.

RoPieee both supports WiFi and IQaudIO. You only need a wired connection for the first setup, after which you can configure WiFi and the IQaudIO from it’s webpage. Have a look over here:

Feel free to try it out and let me know if you need any help.

Regards Harry

1 Like

Ropieee is the answer to your problems.

1 Like

Since Roon works with the squeezebox interface (Logitech media device) cant you also install PiCorePlayer which has a GUI interface and Roon should be able to play to that with no problems.

1 Like

Guys, can you please recommend an option to create a Roon endpoint on a RPi Zero?

I have actually RopieeeXL set on a Pi3 as my main streamer but unfortunately Ropieee won’t work on a Pi Zero as far as I’m concerned.

I have built a Raspotify client on a Pi Zero and have modified it in order to fit on an old B&W Zeppelin speaker and also get power from the speaker’s Dock. I could only use a PiZero since its low power demands could be handled by the Zeppelin.

The Raspotify client works wonder but now am looking at the possibility of implementing a Roon Bridge too aside the Spotify client on my existing setup.

First of all is this possible and secondly, what are my other software options with regards to building an endpoint on a Pi Zero (if any) ?

Many thanks

I believe that the RPi Zero uses the ARMv6 instruction set and architecture. I don’t know specifically which features Roon Bridge requires that are not present in ARMv6, but the Roon Bridge builds require ARMv7 or greater.

Have you considered the RPi3 Model A+? Power requirements seem to be lower than the standard RPi3 boards, and it’s smaller (same size as a HAT), so it might be a good fit. You might also want to consider one of the NanoPi boards. For example, the ZeroPi should run Roon Bridge just fine with DietPi.

1 Like

Thanks for the very helpful post David.

The reason I asked about Pi Zero is I have already built the streamer based on that board, modified a plastic case with a button and fitted it onto the dock of the Zeppelin.

I’m not sure how much power the dock can provide but it fails to drive RPi2 and RPi3.
The RPi Zero running just the lightweight Raspbian distro, an on/off software script and Raspotify consumes 0.8-1.0W with very few occasional spikes ranging at 1.2. I haven’t researched but I doubt the A model draws so little power as it technically has the same processor as the B variant.

As for ZeroPi, it looks promising. Is Picoreplayer or Roon Bridge available through dietPi? I didn’t know that.
I have a couple of NanoPi NeoPlus2 boards from Friendly Elec but then again I believe they will need over 1.5W of power.

I have a couple of NanoPi NEO2 boards. Have not tried the ZeroPi, the latest DietPi (Buster) is available for it and should install Roon Bridge just fine. I can’t speak to the power requirements. I’ve been pretty happy with the NEO2’s. Let me know if you try the ZeroPi. :slight_smile:

1 Like