Crossfeed and speakers

Hi, wee question. I have core on a mac mini, with signal out from a bricasti m5 > lossless echo’s end. My speakers are Klipsch Cornwalls.

I was tinkering around in DSP tonight and I accidently turned crossfeed on (default setting). Reading up on this setting, it is intended for headphones, adding filters and mixing left/right panning. Thing is, the system sound the best it ever has, warmth and detail added without being shouty. I’m tempted to leave on a while. Is there any danger in having this on through speakers, do people do this? It’s kinda freaking me out.

A

No, not at all. Crossfeed reduces stereo separation to a degree, so listening with headphones sounds more natural. In a room, the improvement you experienced may indicate that your speaker placement is suboptimal, i.e., crossfeed has improved the sound stage.

Accordingly, you may want to experiment with speaker placement, or, if this isn’t practical, look at DSP room correction.

3 Likes

Great, thanks

1 Like

Should read-up on what this does.

I’d seriously spend some time on speaker placement.

What size room? Where are your speakers in the room? Where are you sitting in relation to the speakers and the walls? Toe in? I think the crossfeed is “fixing” a problem… and crossfeed won’t do a good job of that.