CuBox as Bridge / End point

I am trying out Roon with a CuBox-i4 Pro as my endpoint. The CuBox is hooked up to a M2Tech HiFace 2 and the OS is Volumio. This works fine but I am limited to AirPlay and I would like to try the hardware with Roon Bridge in order to stream hi-resolution music.

I am not very proficient in Linux - the CuBox was actually bought several years back with the intention to run LMS but I gave up and it was not until I found an image with Volumio that I got the system up running.

My question is if anyone out there is running a similar setup and is willing to share an image of a working Linux+Roon Bridge? Alternatively providing a step by step guide for dummies? Available guide seems to be quite old and likely outdated.

My main computer is running macOS but I have an old MacBook with Linux if needed for creating a flash card.

Many thanks in advance!

Seem to recall the M2Tech might not play well with Linux. Search M2Tech in the search box up to the top right and there seems to be quite a number of posts. Is the firmware up to date?

The M2Tech Hiface 2 works fine with Volumio (version 2.425) so I guess that should not be a show stopper.

Not all distro’s are the same with respect to required kernel versions and updates as I understand it.

The Hiface 1 wasn’t compatible with Linux. The 2 is OK.
If you have console access to the cubox via SSH you can add Roon Bridge after you add any missing dependencies. The script isn’t hard to follow.
This was on the Volumio forum from last September, thanks to the author.
SSH access on volumio

For security reasons, SSH is disabled by default on all versions after 2.199 (except first boot). It can be however enabled very easily.

First method: file

Just create or copy a file called ssh in /boot . You can do it right after flashing Volumio, by creating it in the “Boot” partition of your SD Card.

Second method: DEV UI

Navigate to the DEV ui by pointing your browser to VOLUMIOIP/DEV or volumio.local/DEV or ip/DEV.
Find the SSH section, and click enable. From now on your SSH will be permanently enabled.

Putty access to Volumio:
user: volumio
password: volumio

Then:
sudo apt-get update
sudo apt-get install bzip2
curl -O http://download.roonlabs.com/builds/roo … armv7hf.sh
chmod +x roonbridge-installer-linuxarmv7hf.sh
sudo ./roonbridge-installer-linuxarmv7hf.sh

Enter password again.
Enter Y
Sit back and install

Roon should now be running

Excellent!
I have not been able to try this out yet but I am much looking forward to doing so.

Thanks for the support!

Well, actually I did not have time for this but I could not resist trying and it worked quite effortlessly!

Thanks again!

P.S. Will start exploring differences between 24 bit vs the normal 16 bit that I have for my FLAC CDs.

Great news!