Currency of Subscription

Do you ever consider moving?

No I actually like it here ,

The weather is nigh on perfect , winter can be cold in the morning but 20C by noon, summer is high 20ā€™s so overall quite comfortable.

There is beautiful scenery , Game Parks where you can relax and watch game in a real wild environment (Google Kruger Park). There is a rich cultural life as the population derives from Africa, India Europe etc

The cost of living is quite low mainly due the currency and our sin taxes are low, so being a wine growing country booze is cheap. It also means my pension plans run out better than they would in say the UK where I was born. Its a great place for overseas tourism the $ goes a long way !!

I have been here 26 years its a bit late to start upping roots at my age . Not quite the good life but as good as any

2 Likes

iā€™m lost here, being in the UK I clearly understood it was $ pricing.

In fact from here Pricing - Roon Labs

You donā€™t have to go far to see

Seems very clear to me, itā€™s not buried in some small print in a 100 page terms and conditions document.

1 Like

Please read the rest of the thread, I explain myself later. The issue for me is on a country like Australia, the pricing information is not on the billing page. It should just say $US. It doesnā€™t and when $US are more it leads to unwelcome
Surprises. Even a link to the FAQ page would be great.

Complaining to the manager, huh?

1 Like

Does the Australian government actively prevent people placing international orders? Roon is a US company that, I assume, trades and reports in USD under US law.

1 Like

That simply doesnā€™t fly. If the service is available in a specific country, for those customers, they have to adhere to that countryā€™s laws. Itā€™s just more difficult to enforce.

Youā€™re quite correct to draw a distinction between my point about ordering from overseas and the type of service that Roon provides.

Here in the UK, and probably throughout the world - for reasons of enforcement, if you buy goods and services from abroad then you are not protected by UK rights and legislation.

The advent of online subscriptions has, of course, complicated matters. Roon does need to ensure that it complies with country-specific legislation. The OP is free to report to their government and Iā€™m sure the government of Australia will relish finding the time to address the matter!

2 Likes

Stunningā€¦

Well goody for you, but it seems all roon is really obliged to do is put US$ where is shows any $ signs in their pricing references on their website or invoices.

@danny should probably make this happen and shut this feature request as solved.

@Neil_Lavitt you havenā€™t even got any votes for this.

It continues to surprise me that some topics that start out so simple can quickly become complex. The original point being made is that both the USA and Australia use the same dollar symbol to denote their currency. Given Roon are happy to have Australian customers subscribe to their services it would seem a simple thing to do to denote the price of subscription clearly in USD and avoid any confusion. Iā€™m an Australian subscriber and when I was initially considering subscribing to Roon I also understood the subscription to be in AUD not USD. It was only further research revealed pricing advertised to be in USD.

I think that is all that is being requested, hardly onerous for Roon. Australia is not the only country whose currency is also called a dollar.

Agreed. It isnā€™t even a coding change, just some verbiage added to the screen.

Probably, this threat is where the some of the pushback is aimed at.

1 Like

I donā€™t see it as a particular threat, they would presumably just tell Roon to make the currency clear. It seems unlikely there would be anything problematic for Roon beyond that.

That just makes it an empty threat.

1 Like

Itā€™s an entirely reasonable request. Why then back up the request with a threat/statement/declaration to involve the Australian Government? Itā€™s not a great look.

Surly, the sensible thing to do before entering into any contract is to read the T&Cā€™s???

It could say US $ but also Roon own your house in 2 years, extreme but you have to read themā€¦

More than 20 countries call their currency ā€œdollarā€ and use $. Iā€™m addition there are countries such as Brazil that use the $ symbol (R$). My subscription is based in a dollar country and I had no difficulty, before my purchase was finalized, determining that I would be billed in US$. I think the notion of reporting this to Australian regulatory authorities is absurd.

3 Likes

Letā€™s not blame users for reporting things to their local authorities.

If itā€™s the Australian law (I personally have now clue), we can hardly blame him, now can we? If itā€™s not the Australian Law (again, no clue), the whole thing is put to rest.

Either way, itā€™ll get resolved one way or the other.

ā€¦ and letā€™s not blame other users for thinking that itā€™s absurd.

1 Like