Custom DAC Configuration

I just received my LampizatOr DAC and sadly had to realize Roon doesn’t know LampizatOr or its capabilities. As I realize Roon will never be able to know everything that’s out there, it would be great to have the ability to custom configure an unknown DAC in Roon so the user gets max value out of his/her investment. In my case Roon sends DSD over pcm since the LampizatOr dsd capabilities are not known. Give me the ability to enter max dsd, max pcm, mqa, and bit length capabilities via a configuration input screen.

It depends on what the lampizator is connected to, specifically the OS. What is the dac connected to?

Hi - I use a HiFi Rose RS130 as the transport, roon rock as server. In a second system I use a ifi zen Dac, also not recognized with the sane symptom.

You can change these things in the device settings. However, capabilities depend on the transport, e.g., OS, hardware etc. For instance, native DSD nay only be possible if a device driver is provided (Windows.)

Nonetheless, DoP still delivers DSD to your DAC, MQA signalling is preserved, and playback strategy may be defined for the DAC.

Your issue really has nothing to do with Roon and nothing Roon could do would fix it. Whether or not you can play native DSD is decided upon the synergy of the DAC and the Endpoint. This takes a bit of research.

You need a Roon Endpoint that can talk native DSD to the DAC. Rose equipment use a modified Android phone OS.

1. Contact Rose and ask about what you can expect if you attach the Lampizator to it with the Rose as a Roon Endpoint. From what I remember the Rose does not do native DSD via USB out, AND, the DAC, ie the Lampizator, has to be able to accept DoP, or it will all become PCM.

2. Contact Lampizator and ask what Roon endpoint works to provide native DSD to that DAC.

Given the money Lampizator’s cost, I personally wouldn’t use an endpoint that doesn’t give me perfect native DSD throughput. KInd of like buying a Lamborghini and putting in the cheapest quality gas.

1 Like

@ Rugby -

Thank you for your input. I played around some more and sadly I am afraid you are correct. After connecting 3 different DACs (one is in the Roon library of devices) I have identified my brand new $5k streamer as the culprit - ironic thing is I ‘upgraded to it from the lesser RS150B’. The RS130 does not seem to be putting out native DSD via USB… :(, even though the manual and product brochure say so. I will try the Rose support forum, but very little ever gets fixed / implemented that customers bring up. Thx

I suggest starting with contacting lampizator and explain what you are trying to do. Ask them if that DAC does native DSD with Linux, and if so, what devices that they know support a plug and play.

Or, what Roon Ready streamer would they suggest that they know does native DSD.

Or, if they provide an ASIO Windows driver, then the easiest might be one of those mid 100s mini Windows PC. Load the Lampi drivers, load RoonBridge, plug the PC into the network and the Lampi into the USB port. Done

I recently built a Roon Ready USB streamer using a Raspberry PI4 and PI screen ($170 all in… ) for a second system. I just connected that to the Lampizator and it’s feeding / playing DSD512 without any DoP nonsense and sadly that little guy sounds better. Sounds amazing, actually. Lampi still breaking in.

2 Likes

Fantastic! Lampizators sound awesome. :smiley:

1 Like