Customizing the Roon theme

It’s @DaveN theme (thanks David BTW, great theme!).

I just changed the default fonts.

What do you mean with “full review”? Album reviews? For me, as you say, it improved readability.

(I’m using a Mac):

2 Likes

SF Pro Text Regular is great choice. I think the fact that the line spacing is smaller than some other fonts. Thanks for the tip. Your title font looks great too, but I don’t have access to that one.

I meant the fully collapsed album review or artist bio. Readability on just a few lines is different than a whole screen of text without alineas. That looks good too I see.

Here you go.

Video instruction how to manage to large fonts :slight_smile:

1. Install FontForge FontForge Open Source Font Editor
  2. Pickup font file and copy link to it.
  3. Go through steps in accordance to the video.
    (+optional solving issue with font version pop-up)
  4. Enjoy
    **Changes on your own risk :wink:

I’d like a little better understanding of font changes before I start messing around with it and the way stuff is scattered through this thread, it’s hard to get a good picture. Are you spoofing the app by renaming the fonts you want to the name the app is looking for or are you actually changing the app font call outs? Inquiring minds want to know… Damien does the video you mention answer these?

We explored several options for manoeuvring fonts in this and other thread:

1. Color Change
The easiest and the fastest way. You change the colour code in the theme config. Example
2. Type Change
For example, for album fonts, Roon uses GrifoM-Medium natively. If we want to replace it with, for example, Arial Black, we replace the original font file with our font file (with the name of the original). So we rename the Arial Black.ttf file to GrifoM-Medium.otf. After overwriting and rebooting, Roon will display our font :slight_smile:
3. Size Change
Also for album fonts we can apply the operation of artificial font reduction. In our case, we follow the video and overwrite the original font file with our FontForge-generated file. What does this give us? We reduce the visible size of all sizes of a given font by 50%. Such an operation causes that when Roon displays the font 26, it actually displays 26 but with the visible size 13 because we made it smaller in the program. This is a workaround that puts an “official” font into the Roon with “official” sizes but with a visible size as we see fit. :slight_smile:

1 Like

I have to say, as someone who is not likely himself to muck around with this stuff, that I love that this is both unsupported and certainly straightforward. In other words this is commercial software (caveat emptor) with a clear vision (like it or not), but isn’t totally locked down, so it can be tinkered with.

1 Like

Thanks. WRT #2, you end up with mislabeled fonts but they’re buried in a room directory do not affecting other programs?

Exactly. Changes are made only into Roon folder and for Roon purpose only but have to remember make a DB backup in case, mostly if have a common solution Remote and Server on the same computer. I have never get any error but guys have some LINK. There is no problem reinstall app, but DB cannot be lost :wink:

Thank you for this! Do you have any screenshots of larger (or smaller) fonts?
I’m particularly interested in making the now playing info larger, so on a large screen tv I can actually read the info from across the room. Is this possible?

I have made two official test and here you can download examples.

Regards now playing page… frankly your limit is the size of the page text box you would like to impact. If you will find any problem ping me and we will remove each blockade on your road to happiness! :partying_face:

1 Like

Fantastic job!!

Is there anyway to increase the smallest fonts with something larger? I assume the current smallest fonts - track titles e.g. are at best 10 points, if not smaller.
If there is a solution, but it would increase the bigger fonts, so be it.

Thanks for your feedback
Dirk

Is this possible to do as a batch change across album titles for example in something like mp3tag? I often do batch changes across my entire library replacing one char or string with another. For example replacing occurrences of “,” with “;” or “Berlin Philharmoniker” with “Berlin Philharmonic Orchestra”.

But I’ve not tried something like this before. There seems to be an option to replace one hex code with another in your tags. Anyone know enough mp3tag to do this?

\xnn char with unicode hex value nn
\x{nnnn} char with unicode hex value nnnn

As you wish :wink:

Before:

After:

Drawbacks:

2 Likes

Thanks for your efforts Damian

Thanks Damian! To think that a week ago I thought I was stuck with a purple unreadable roon.

1 Like

The motto is: “Impossible? Just a matter of time” :relaxed:

Hey all – moved this thread to our new Themes category. Make sure you read the info I posted here:

Thanks all!

6 Likes

Can I change the Roon Core themes installed on a MAC and if so where. My room remote software is on my Android tablet. Thanks for your help.

No. This is for Roon remotes on Mac or Windows desktop. Don’t monkey with your core - no themes there, and nothing that can change on iOs or Android platforms as they are locked in apps with no package contents. On a Mac, go to the app icon, right click to show ‘package contents’ and then go from there (‘colors’ is in the theme folder in resources, fonts in resources as well).